Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Buggy or ST

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:22 PM
DodgeFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy or ST

I'm new here.and I'm looking into a Nitro fired car but I'd like to get some opinions from the pros,buggy or st? I'm not racing just bashing it around the dunes and pits near my home,I like big air and speed,but also looking for durability,maybe I'm asking for too much.All suggestions welcome.I really need some help here guys Please.
DodgeFan
Old 09-28-2003, 07:40 PM
MrSavage

Default RE: Buggy or ST

big air, speed, durability, eh? you just defined buggy! buggies are generally fast, more durable, and jump better than st's but have less ground clearence and are quite expensive, how much do you want to spend so i can recomend a buggy?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 AM
Aerobirdbrain

http://h1071181.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=OFN14326
This is tough, reliable and great for bashing around. They also have great replacement part availability because they have been out a while and because a lot of people own one (or two).

http://h1071181.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...p?prod=GSC2003

This is also a great "thrashing" buggy with the same part availability. The difference is that the Storm comes with a JR XR3 FM radio out of the box!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:43 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

i lam starting to like the buggies but they cost too much $$$...or the kyosho mp7.5
Old 09-29-2003, 06:40 AM
DodgeFan

I was looking to spend around $500 for an RTR,including everything, ie,fuel,starter,spare plugs,enough to break in the motor and run it for awhile after.
Other than climbing over things is there an advantage to groung clearance?Will a buggy climb hills like MT?
Thanks
DF
Old 09-29-2003, 08:10 AM
ShOzz

great bashing buggies start at 330 and go up from there, you can get even cheeper ones at 260 but i'd go ahead and spend the 300 range for a good basher.

for racing you might deck out a 500 or more buggy but not needed at all for bashing, hell my basher cost about 700 less then my racer and is more durable stock then my racer.

go figure. lol
Old 09-29-2003, 09:57 AM
Henderson

1/8 scale buggy all the way if you can part with the greenbacks. Somebody else in this post made a good recommendation for the Ofna Hyper 7 RTR. I would add that the Hyper 7 PBS comes with a non pull start engine and a starter box. They're $550.00 at my LHS and i think they're the best deal around.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:23 AM
DodgeFan

So by the looks of things,I guess the OFNA is my best bet for a basher,is the Kyosho a good buggy also,I'm not afraid to spend a little extra $$$ for something that will last and not break everytime I take it out.What about an MT or Im I better with a buggy?
Thanks
Df
Old 09-29-2003, 01:44 PM
studysession

Get a 1/8 scael OFNA - Can not go wrong. I love mine. I can keep up with the Mugens and Kyosho's anyday. It all depends on the driver. I am not best driver at all. But the guys with the really nice cars are worse drivers than I am most of time.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

I like OFNAs as well, they can handle anything, and the cheaper OFNAs are still durable but lack race spec performance which is easily upgradable if you put your mind to it. The Hot Bodies Lightning Pro is a good package so I'm told, hopped up parts and avaiable in RTR form.

Not that I'm a bad driver, but yesterday I missed the jump due to the car pulling to one side when driving straight, made me look bad.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:31 PM
DodgeFan

So if I walk into my LHS next week and buy the Ofna Hyper 7 PBS in the RTR..what else other than batteries and fuel will I need?
Thanks Guys you've been alotta help.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:10 PM
MrSavage

i would gewt 4 or 5 extra glow plugs, i think you will need a rechargable batt for the starter box (if you are going to use that rather than the pullstart), fuel, battts for reciever and transmitter, fuel bottle, and glow igniter. if you get those you are set to go, nitro rc is REAL expensive in the begininng but it gets better in price.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:21 PM
DodgeFan

I considering the OFNA Ultra MBX Pro 1/8 scale Buggy.Good?Bad? Anybody who has one PLEASE jump in Thank You.I want to buy it right the first time.Just a reminder,Im not a racer just a basher.Is this to much for the backyard nasher or should I consider something else?
DF
Old 10-01-2003, 02:53 PM
studysession

I love my PBS - but before you buy it, do a search on all my post on what a crappy starter box it is that comes with it.