Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/6 Metal Tanks on FB: Caveat Emptor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 Metal Tanks on FB: Caveat Emptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:27 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 1/6 Metal Tanks on FB: Caveat Emptor

Came across another scam on Facebook for the uninitiated or those simply too gullible to think these can be had for under $100.00. Had to laugh at all the various Armortek, HL & Warslug models being portrayed in the video as their own.

https://www.handsomee.store/products/metal-remote-control-tank

https://www.xiangyu.shop/products/metal-remote-control-tank

Last edited by herrmill; 10-04-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:29 PM
lposter

Received 160 Likes on 92 Posts

This website is seriously funny.

https://www.xiangyu.shop/products/me...e-control-tank

What is this thing? A paper model?

P

Old 10-05-2020, 12:49 AM
Crius

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

Jerry and I already exposed this scam in another thread. I still have the cheap little plastic toy that they will send if you give them money, and if anyone is foolish enough to go for this again, make sure you use PayPal (like Jerry and I did), that's the only way you'll get your money back. It's definitely a scam, you will not get the tank in the photos. Stand by a few minutes and I'll post a photo of the tank that they sent me. The damn little toy even had wheels on the bottom.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:59 AM
Crius

Here's the thread

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...venturous.html

and here's the video of the tank I received

Old 10-07-2020, 10:47 PM
Tanque

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yep it's hilarious from a distance. That photo lposter posted appears like one of those thin metal things you see in novelty stores.
You know the kiosks full of the laser cut paper thin steel models of famous things you can buy like the Eiffel tower, Taj Mahal or
a Ford F1 that you fold up into a 'model'? They come in a cellophane package?

Yeaaaaaah an Armortek or Aeromate model they ain't. I just recently threw away the few electronic bits I saved from that
piece of junk...

I have no doubt some of my friends still have the idea in their minds that when we say model tanks they envision that thing Crius
and I received:the toy tank with solid immovable plastic tracks with wheels underneath to roll around on!

It's likely to be a seasonal attempt to ensnare the unwary. I remember several FB friends last year happily messaging me to tell me
the great news of what they'd found...

Jerry
Old 10-07-2020, 10:52 PM
Tanque

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

As I recall the one I was sent was some sort of caricature of a modern tank. Not sure I saved a photo..
Old 10-08-2020, 01:45 AM
Crius

I've still got mine, still in the box. I'll have to get a photo and post it when I get home from work. One of these days I'll take it apart and get all those LEDs, and I'm sure I'll come up with some kind of use for the rechargeable batteries that came with mine. I thought the best part was the voices, young Asian girls as tank Commanders. Alpha would have loved it.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:20 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

A fool and his money are soon parted
Old 10-09-2020, 03:44 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by cleong
A fool and his money are soon parted
Unless the fool uses PayPal, then the fool gets his money back.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:06 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Unless the fool uses PayPal, then the fool gets his money back.
You’re not a fool if you use PayPal, but are still one if you use “friends and family” - which has no purchase protection.

You need to opt for goods and service to be covered, just a reminder.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:49 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by cleong
You’re not a fool if you use PayPal, but are still one if you use “friends and family” - which has no purchase protection.

You need to opt for goods and service to be covered, just a reminder.
This can depend on who you're buying from. When buying from a vendor I always use "goods & services", but I've sent money to guys I know here by "friends and family" without incident, and the many, many people who have bought stuff from me have always used "Friends & family" without a single problem, and I would never call a single one of those guys a fool.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:45 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Paypal for several years, and only had problems as a buyer a couple of times, (which Paypal agreed with my side and refunded me). I have used the "friends & family" method a few times (in fact, that's how I helped to support your cat surgery, Gary), and always liked that if I paid the fees, the person receiving the money would get the full amount.

About a year ago, my bank account, (the only thing hooked to my Paypal account), got hacked by some Chinese site to the tune of a $500 payment for absolutely nothing. Paypal froze the account, and they're the ones who told me it was a Chinese scammer that they've had trouble with before. They suggested that I disconnect my bank account; use a credit card for future payments; and also start doing two-factor authentication.

So okay; that's worked well for the past year's purchases, as when I pay off the whole card each month; I don't incur interest. Last month, however, I sent money to someone for the extra postage it would cost to get something to Hawaii, and was charged a high interest rate by my credit card as though I had made a cash advance. This is - I guess - what the new normal is, so I will NOT be using the "friends & family" option in the future. I work hard to buy no more than what I can afford to pay off completely every month, and getting charged interest EVERY time I send money through "f&f" defeats that.