Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Micro Set Formulation Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Micro Set Formulation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 09:06 PM
hfinley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Set Formulation Problem

Just to be clear, Micro Set and Micro Sol is sold to be used as a set, with Micro SET (blue labeling) to be used on the model surface before decal application and on top of the decal immediately after decal application, before wiping the decal to "squeegie' out the excess water and air bells. Then after the decal is dry, Micro SOL (red label) is applied to the decal to dissolve it so it will lay in to irregular surfaces. All well and good.
Now for the question. The Micro Sol (blue label) has surface tension, which means it simply beads up and runs off before you have a chance to get the decal on. NONE is left to actually end up under the wet decal. It would seem logical that Micro Sol needs some wetting agent like Kodak Photo Flo, which is an ages-old product that breaks up surface tension of the water on photographic film so that the water turns to a sheet on the film instead of beads of water drying on the film, which show up in the print enlargement. Kodak Photo Flo 200 is made to be mixed 1:200 with water before the film is hung up to dry after film development. Essentially Photo Flo is a detergent of some kind which breaks up surface tension (think soapy water) on a waxed car, or Jet Dry in your dishwasher.
Since I am also a a photographic hobbyist and have some Kodak Photo Flo on hand, I'm very tempted to add a drop or 2 in my bottle of Micro Set. Whaddya think?
Old 12-24-2020, 06:04 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If it has the potential of solving the problem I think it would be worth the risk of ruining a bottle of the Micro Sol. You can always get more Micro Sol!
Old 12-26-2020, 10:41 PM
hfinley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it turns out, after extensive trial of the blue-bottle Micro Scale product, I saw no difference between it and plain water. As a matter of fact I discovered that painting on ordinary diluted Elmer's glue worked better, especially on a decal that didn't want to stick. The red label stuff after decal application DID melt-in the decal to a slight degree, but nothing particularly remarkable.