Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C
Reload this Page >

STOL Flying Wing Test - 30mm EDF

Community
Search
Notices
Unusual R/C Discuss Airships, Blimps, LTA, VTOL, Ground Effect Vehicles, Hovercaft and more.

STOL Flying Wing Test - 30mm EDF

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 07:04 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STOL Flying Wing Test - 30mm EDF

Not a VTOL but I hope to get pretty close with this STOL concept. For a long time I have been somewhat "annoyed" with the additional energy that is needed for hovering. So, decided to try how slow I can go with one motor, some added flaps and thrust vectoring, without bumping up the throttle from the cruise levels.

The idea is to open large flaps in the front to slow down the unit and create additional lift and while doing that push down the elevons and direct the thrust downwards at the back to balance... To start with, I kept the surface area of the flaps double the surface area of the elevons to balance the additional lift that the thrust vectoring generate. The small thrust vectoring wings at the back are designed to also support the navigation at slow speed. The large vertical surface areas are also intentional to keep the wing aerodynamics active when slowing down.

Below is the videos of the maiden. The good news is that the wing still flies after all the additions and I didn't destroy it during the maiden But it needs to be tuned to reduce the elevon range as the unit tends to lose altitude into the transition, showing me that the lift from the front flaps is not quite balancing the additional lift generated at the back with the combination of elevons+thrust vectoring. Another good news is that I could feel the significant speed reduction from the flaps and was able to recover back even though the balance is not there... Will make the necessary adjustments and get back to the field

Old 03-08-2021, 03:02 PM
BaltimoreBomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following your build now. I want to scratch build an extreme speed "diamond dust" style flying delta wing with a 90mm 6s for power and was looking at mods to the build that would come out like a very large version of yours.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:19 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

I have tested many different designs and setups after the initial tests and I came up with what I believe to be the best that I can do with my skills and experience.

This unit can almost be parked in the air against some headwind with a 1000mah Lipo. You can get upto 15min flight time with a Liion pack. It has onboard HD DVR with TBS Crossfire long range receiver and 400mw Panda VTX with INAV autopilot and Matek FC. really solid FPV unit.

I put all STL and pic files (MonoWing 3D V2) on my web page that I am slowly building, along with videos. So, help yourself if you would want to build one.

https://monophan.com/free-stl-pic-files/

https://youtu.be/G_pOpxg1kUA

Thank you!

Last edited by UN.RCONT.OL; 07-11-2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:06 AM
UN.RCONT.OL

Originally Posted by BaltimoreBomber
Following your build now. I want to scratch build an extreme speed "diamond dust" style flying delta wing with a 90mm 6s for power and was looking at mods to the build that would come out like a very large version of yours.
That sounds cool!
Old 02-20-2022, 06:41 PM
UN.RCONT.OL