Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Stampede 2wd engine or gear issue.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas Stampede 2wd engine or gear issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 12:35 PM
Badabing76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traxxas Stampede 2wd engine or gear issue.

Hey, new here, so Hello, 1st post and just seeing if I'd get an answer here.

Traxxas Stampede 2wd turns on, lights up fine, but turns red when hitting accelerator though and makes a loud whine. Gears are spinning, but not moving. Is the engine shot, or is it possible the gears are stripped? I haven't taken it apart because honestly I don't have a small enough screwdriver, lol! I want to get it running as it's my sons who's 11. He wants to get back into it, got this stuff last Christmas, 2 of them so we could bash around and well he didn't pick up on it till now. So it is a bit rusty and has sat for a good 8 months or so. My other one works fine, but he wants his own.

Any help greatly appreciated.

​​
The following users liked this post:
remotecontrolbros (05-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 09:29 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try to find a screwdriver that will allow you to remove the gear cover on the right side of the truck. I bet your issue is that the motor shifted slightly causing the pinion gear on the motor to barely engage with the larger plastic spur gear. When you pulled the throttle it shaved off the teeth of the spur gear and now it's stripped. You'll need to replace the spur gear and then readjust the motor so that they gears engage fully but not so tight that they cause resistance.

Also, if that is your issue and you manage to get it all fixed you should then adjust the slipper clutch nut so that when you accelerate hard on a high traction surface the clutch will allow some slip before the truck begins to drive away. You should hear the motor spin faster than the truck can accelerate. But it should only do this for a very short distance; less than 1 meter. The clutch should be adjusted so that the motor is fully engaged within that distance. If it sounds like the motor is still spinning faster than the truck is moving then tighten that adjustment nut in small increments until you have minimal slip from the clutch. If the clutch slips too often then you will eventually burn it out and you'll have to replace the pads and possibly the spur gear again if it heats up enough to melt it.

Last edited by BKoz559; 01-16-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 AM
Badabing76

Originally Posted by BKoz559
Try to find a screwdriver that will allow you to remove the gear cover on the right side of the truck. I bet your issue is that the motor shifted slightly causing the pinion gear on the motor to barely engage with the larger plastic spur gear. When you pulled the throttle it shaved off the teeth of the spur gear and now it's stripped. You'll need to replace the spur gear and then readjust the motor so that they gears engage fully but not so tight that they cause resistance.

Also, if that is your issue and you manage to get it all fixed you should then adjust the slipper clutch nut so that when you accelerate hard on a high traction surface the clutch will allow some slip before the truck begins to drive away. You should hear the motor spin faster than the truck can accelerate. But it should only do this for a very short distance; less than 1 meter. The clutch should be adjusted so that the motor is fully engaged within that distance. If it sounds like the motor is still spinning faster than the truck is moving then tighten that adjustment nut in small increments until you have minimal slip from the clutch. If the clutch slips too often then you will eventually burn it out and you'll have to replace the pads and possibly the spur gear again if it heats up enough to melt it.

Awesome info, I will tackle here soon once my screwdriver kit comes in. Used to have a nice set, but young kids.....amazing how they get into everything! Appreciate the reply and will let.you know how it goes.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:28 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Pinion gear grub screws can come loose and spin on the motor shaft .
But you need that gear cover off first .
The following users liked this post:
Badabing76 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:53 PM
Badabing76

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
Pinion gear grub screws can come loose and spin on the motor shaft .
But you need that gear cover off first .
This totally worked, appreciate it. Now I have to post a few more times to be able to post other pictures due to the other one breaking and have a feeling it might be shot.....