Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines
Reload this Page >

After run oil alternative that I might have around home?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

After run oil alternative that I might have around home?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 12:55 PM
rpelich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After run oil alternative that I might have around home?

Hey all I’m looking for after run oil alternatives. My fuel apparently contains after run oil but I believe it’s only for short term usage. I’m running sidewinder. I want a after run oil for a longer storage. I checked at my local hobby but they don’t have any after run oil. I heard of marvel mystery oil and wd40 but I heard soemthing about one or both of them ruining seals or soemthing like that. I also dont really want to buy a bottle of marvel if I can use soemthing that I alreayd have around my house (I’m lazy).

So what would you guys recommend or anything I might have laying around the garage? I’m thinking about atleast 1-2 year of storage time

Thanks

Old 09-01-2021, 06:12 AM
greywolf1974

Marvel mystery oil
Old 09-02-2021, 08:08 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

ATF is a great rust inhibitor also. For glow plane engines I mixed it 50/50 with MMO.

David
The following users liked this post:
Big Alice (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 08:09 AM
Big Alice

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

^ 50% atf 50% mmo
Old 09-04-2021, 08:16 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I like to use sewing machine oil or a mix of Dexron transmission oil and SeaFoam (10:1 respectively works well as the combination loosens carbon real nicely. 3-in-1 oil or air tool oil works well also; but really, most mineral oils will do. They don’t readily absorb moisture which is the main reason you need to use after run oil.

A good fuel with a decent percentage of castor oil will do a nice job of protecting against rust and corrosion, so after run oil isn’t necessary for short term storage.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:46 PM
TMAXXER_3.3

any red ATF auto trans fluid works good high detergent also. 2 drops not to much
Old 07-26-2023, 03:06 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

2 drops won’t do any good. To do the job properly, you need to get enough in it to coat the internals completely. After run maintenance isn’t really needed for short term storage and if you use fuel with a good dose of castor oil in it. If you run full synthetic oil fuel, you need to do after run oil within a day of running the truck - especially if it’s really humid outside.

Or don’t run fuel with nitromethane in it.