Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Problems with double differential drive gearbox

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Problems with double differential drive gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Shagnifico

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Problems with double differential drive gearbox

Anyone have experience with the HL triple D gearbox? Just installed the new gearbox in a HL L2, can’t go straight can’t turn, goes in a circle.

If I only wire up the drive motor it works great, straight as an arrow. When I wire up the turning motor it all goes lame. Suggestions?

Oh I should add, mfu is HL 6.1s

Last edited by Shagnifico; 04-12-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:16 AM
tankme

Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts

I believe you have to change a setting in the MFU from the regular gearboxes to the new type. It's outlined in the manual. Have you done that?
Old 04-13-2021, 05:43 PM
Shagnifico

The “switchable double current system” command doesn’t seem to change anything. Last night I noticed on the DKLM site it says their version of the gearbox isn’t compatible with HL mfu. I don’t have their version I have the HL built version but I suspect it’s exactly the same. Leave it to heng long to sell a gearbox that isn’t compatible with HL electronics.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:40 PM
tankme

DKLM put that message on their website before Heng Long even released their version of the PDSGB gearbox. Heng Long calls it he triple differential gearbox (or something like that). It didn't used to be listed as being compatible with the HL systems, but when HL released their version it is now listed as being compatible: "Suitable For: 1/16 henglong tank, and the use is 6.0S or 6.1S or 7.0 or 7.1 motherboard."

In this triple diff gearbox, one motor provides all the driving power. The other motor only engages to make turns. I would assume that if the secondary (smaller) turning motor is engaged one direction it will make the tank turn left. Engage it in the other direction and it will turn right.

Have you tried reversing the motor connections as in taking the motor connected to M1 and connecting it to M2 and vise versa to see if anything changes? I would go through the process of setting the "dual current driving system" again also. I would assume that the first time you set it, it turns it on. The next time it turns it off. If you are like me you turned it off and on multiple times trying to get it to work and now probably don't know which way it is set. Below is a page from HL showing how it should be wired. If they are showing you that then it IS indeed compatible.

Shows connect the smaller motor to the M2 connector and the larger drive motor to the M1 slot.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:21 AM
Shagnifico

Awesome thank you. Those instructions aren’t in my manual. You have to hold G and lock button for five seconds as per your instructions. That’s the key I was missing. Funny thing, I had to reverse polarity on both motors to get each of them to go the correct direction.

Tankme you are my new hero!
Old 04-14-2021, 07:15 AM
tankme

No problem. Anything for a fellow Texan. My manual for my 6.0 didn't have it either so I found it on the net. It did take a while to find, but I was pretty positive it was supported. Had to dig through the forums at https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk (Gary's favorite place) to find it.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:10 AM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

They’re pretty good gearboxes. My DKLM just roasted some gears and I happened to have a HL version on hand and swapped them. I had to use the DKLM drive motor because the HL motor was defective and wouldn’t hardly turn unless at full speed. It was a direct fit. The HL is slightly louder than the DKLM but only slightly. It is as strong as an ox! My Tiger weighs about 15-17 pounds or so and can crawl over almost anything without batting an eye.