Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Wing mounting opps?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Wing mounting opps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:52 AM
RCHYFLYER
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing mounting opps?

When measuring the distance from the wing tips on my Cessna that I'm building to the horizontal stab tips I am 1/4 of an inch off, will this be a problem? It seems the problem is in the wing saddle which would require me to cut the former and reposition! However I'm afraid to do that because of the structual properties of the former!
Old 09-29-2003, 10:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Wing mounting opps?

Seeing as how a Cessna isn't designed for precision aerobatics, I wouldn't even worry about it. You'll never notice it in the air.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:41 PM
majortom

I agree with MinnFlyer. I've seen wings off more than that, and the plane flies OK. However, the usual measurement is from wingtip to tailpost, not to tip of horizontal stab. If you're not trammeling to one reference point, there's some doubt as to whether your horizontal stab tips are square and equal.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:47 PM
RCHYFLYER

ORIGINAL: majortom

However, the usual measurement is from wingtip to tailpost, not to tip of horizontal stab. If you're not trammeling to one reference point, there's some doubt as to whether your horizontal stab tips are square and equal.
The kit directions have you measure from the wing tips to the stab tip to drill your wing bolt holes? TF's way of setting up the wing position is alittle strange too, They have you set the wing craddle former in without a reference to the tailpost! If I were to do it over again I would take a measurement before glueing in the caddle former!
Old 09-29-2003, 02:01 PM
RCHYFLYER

Also when you set up the stab it is set up off a center point on the f1 former. So I'm ok there I know its right. I must have moved the wing by accident when I marked the wing mounting holes! I could plug the wing bolt mounting blocks and redrill but on a 81" wing span was 1/4" off a prob,thats what I wasn't sure of if it would cause a major problem with the way the plane flys
Old 09-29-2003, 07:34 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Still it shouldn't matter. Go ahead and fly it.