Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 85 Hub Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 10:25 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DLE 85 Hub Removal

Prop bolts got sheared off, I got lazy and didn't check the bolts and the wood compressed and the bolts got loose. Trying to remove the hub to replace it. On the DLE 55 it's easy, theres a little flange on there I can just use my pullers, and it pops right off. On the 85, no flange, just straight down to the crankcase. I've removed the two set screws. The thing just won't come off. I even put a torch to it to warm it up a bit. No joy. Am I missing something, is there a trick to this? I reall don't want to damage the crankcase or sensor, any ideas?

Old 09-04-2021, 03:51 PM
tcrowson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of the bolts are sheared? It may be possible to back the broken bolts out without removing the hub.If you have access to a machinist they should be able to help you.
Good luck
Tas
Old 09-04-2021, 03:53 PM
ForcesR

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a prop drive hub nut that has to be removed. Look straight down the center of the hub you will see the nut on the shaft. you will need a deep socket to remove it. See parts link, it's item # 2 page # 22. http://manuals.hobbico.com/dle/dleg0085-manual.pdf Here is some good info on removing the hub nut. https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=220860

Last edited by ForcesR; 09-04-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:54 PM
djmp69

Originally Posted by tcrowson
How many of the bolts are sheared? It may be possible to back the broken bolts out without removing the hub.If you have access to a machinist they should be able to help you.
Good luck
Tas
As you can see in the photo, they are all sheared at the hub, so no gripping them.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:59 PM
djmp69

Originally Posted by ForcesR
There is a prop drive hub nut that has to be removed. Look straight down the center of the hub you will see the nut on the shaft. you will need a deep socket to remove it. See parts link, it's item # 2 page # 22. dleg0085-manual.pdf Here is some good info on removing the hub nut. https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=220860
As you can see in the photo, the prop shaft has been removed already, that was a no brainer, nothing a 13mm deep socket couldn't fix. That is the issue, I have already removed everything that is securing the hub. Only thing left is good ol friction and the factory applied service removeable loctite.

I really didn't want to have to take off the engine and go thru all that drama, but if I cant find pully pullers to fit between the hub and the crank case, I'm going to have to find someone who can drill in some anti thread screws so I can screw them out, or disassemble the engine to some degree and stick it in the oven. Even then, no guarantees so I was just wondering if anybody had some cool trick before I went old school.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:19 PM
djmp69

Finally got it. I just put the torch on it a little bit longer at a low setting, and went around the entire thing so as to even out the heat. It eventually popped free with a tiny bit pressure from a really wide blade flathead screwdriver.

Whew!
Old 09-11-2021, 03:31 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Did the magnet survive the heat?
Old 09-11-2021, 03:53 PM
djmp69

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Did the magnet survive the heat?
probably not. I have a new hub coming, so my main concern was getting the hub off. I probably wont be able to drill out the broken bolts anyway.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:27 PM
tcrowson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolts are most likely too hard to drill out anyway. Unless they are locktited in a little careful work with a Dremel and either a diamond or carbide burr should cut a slot or ledge to enable them to be backed out.
Tas
Old 09-11-2021, 07:16 PM
djmp69

Originally Posted by tcrowson
The bolts are most likely too hard to drill out anyway. Unless they are locktited in a little careful work with a Dremel and either a diamond or carbide burr should cut a slot or ledge to enable them to be backed out.
Tas
I thought about that, but after the heat, I wouldnt have good faith in the magnets performance, it's most likely compromised. I'm gonna test it, but first see if I can even get the volts out just for kicks.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:31 AM
djmp69

The magnet survived. Still strong. Consistent spark. Now for the hard part. Got one loctited bolt out, 5 more to go. ..
Old 09-13-2021, 09:05 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by djmp69
The magnet survived. Still strong. Consistent spark. Now for the hard part. Got one loctited bolt out, 5 more to go. ..
Loctite on prop bolts? Why?
Old 09-13-2021, 10:36 AM
djmp69

Loctite on prop bolts? Why?
Just something I've always done. I know alotta people say dont do it, but a lil extra security doesn't hurt. Well, except in cases like this, lol, they're hard to get out now.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:45 AM
Truckracer

I know a sometimes controversial subject. But prop bolts are a maintenance item that need to be checked from time to time. When people use loctite, they tend to not check them thinking they will stay tight. Then the prop compresses over time leaving the bolts holding little compression on the prop hub ..... then they break. Its a predictable cycle. I have never seen a prop bolt come loose if it was still holding compression on the prop hub. I just use hardened flat washers between the bolts and the prop hub washer. I replace the original bolts if their grade is not known.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:51 AM
djmp69

I know a sometimes controversial subject. But prop bolts are a maintenance item that need to be checked from time to time. When people use loctite, they tend to not check them thinking they will stay tight. Then the prop compresses over time leaving the bolts holding little compression on the prop hub ..... then they break. Its a predictable cycle. I have never seen a prop bolt come loose if it was still holding compression on the prop hub. I just use hardened flat washers between the bolts and the prop hub washer. I replace the original bolts if their grade is not known.
Indeed, I hear and read people saying that all the time. That's usually true for people who dont do proper maintenance anyway. Never been a problem for me tho. This time it just happened sooner than my check as I got lazy/lax in checking things over. First time for everything, lesson learned. Then too, I dont goop it on, just a drop. That and some good ol fashioned split lock washers.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 PM
djmp69

Hey, what bolts do you use?