Community
Search
Notices
Radio Manufacturer Direct Support Direct Reps from the largest radio manufacturers are here to answer your questions.

IX12 Forward Programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 01:40 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IX12 Forward Programming

So I just learned this. Might be old news to some, but as of today, I did so many searches and could not find any videos or posts regarding this. The only videos I could find featured the NX series of transmitters. That's great except the NX series have the push/roller to access the menu. The IX12 however is touch screen and the menus are accessed very differently. I'm sure I am not the only person to experience this, and given that Horizon's/Spektrum's Tech support is all but non-existent, I offer this life boat.

The issue arose when I had a plane with an older 7ch DSMX receiver (AR7010) in it, binded to a DX9. I copied the profile from the DX9 into an IX12, no problems. Flew the plane many times without incident. I had to redo my voice alerts, but because of the difference in operating systems between the radios, that was to be expected. All my travels, expo, etc worked just fine. Well, then I decided to try one of the newer 10ch receivers (AR10100T). Installed the new receiver into the plane. Here's where the confusion started.

1. In the IX12, there is no obvious way to change the number of channels you're working with. You have to actually tap on the name of the profile, long press proceed, then tap the name of the model again to find that option

2. Even after doing that, because I was coming from a copied profile from an older DSMX transmitter into a new gen, forward programming was not available simply because I'd copied the profile over. This is important because the instructions for the new gen receivers say to only set up the new receivers using forward programming. So I had to start from scratch--rebind and reprogram EVERYTHING. Thankfully I had written down all my settings (which were quite extensive), and I still had the profile in my DX9 for comparison. OF course, both the RX and TX were updated to the newest firmware.

Once the rebind was complete, everything was as it should have been, all the menu selections were present, and it was really easy to finish the setup.

One thing to keep in mind--YOU WILL NOT SEE ALL YOUR MENU SELECTIONS UNLESS BOTH THE RECEIVER AND TRANSMITTER ARE ON AND PROPERLY BINDED AND CONNECTED. If you have no power to your receiver, there's a good chance you will not see some menu items on your radio, including forward programming.

Hope this helps, and equally hope Spektrum will augment their forward programming to be as forward as their innovation.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Forward programming is changing settings live in the receiver so it stands to reason that it has to be powered on and connected, and yes, the menus don't appear unless that is the case. It's always been that way.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:38 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Forward programming is changing settings live in the receiver so it stands to reason that it has to be powered on and connected, and yes, the menus don't appear unless that is the case. It's always been that way.
Yes. You are correct in the obvious, good job of repetition and paraphrasing. Most know what forward programming is. It's not rocket science. But what is not obvious is how to do it, especially in the case where one is simply changing receivers. If it were obvious, there would be an option included in the process, just like making other changes in the transmitter. Make a change, then hit "ok" to make the change or cancel to revert. One would think DSMX is DSMX. But in this case, the language has changed, so NOT everything is the same. What you apparently fail to realize is that forward programming has evolved, meaning things have changed, and these changes are NOT expressed in the manual or any other material that is out in front. All the videos I've found are of the NX6 or NX10, which have different work flows and steps than the ix12. So it has NOT, in fact, "always been that way". Even in the early day with the Alpha 6, I could make changes in the app, whether or not the receiver or the Alpha 6 was powered on, and those changes would positively transfer once I powered on the plane. That is the point of the post, to help those who DONT know and DONT have the gift of telepathy, DONT have the advantage of experience in the hobby, and can't figure out what Spektrum meant by the skimpy, non-informative instructions.