Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Making a paper RC car

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 03:34 PM
Terro.exe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Making a paper RC car

Okok a little clickbaity, but not entirely so. I'm building a RC car from old parts and pieces. I also used to make models out of paper, and I just found my biggest, and also final, unfinished project; a 1/7th-1/5th scale Koenigsegg One (Don't warn me for copyright, ok? It is a licensed papercraft.) And so I thought i'd combine my old hobby with my new hobby; Here's an image of what i'm working with and a parts list. I'm building off mostly Traxxas stuff and scrap.
(I can't post the thread with an image :l)
TQ-I Transmitter, like new

Castle Sidewinder ESC, Like new.
an old Traxxas Stampede steering servo
Like new Traxxas receiver (Will probably bind this to my remote, why not. It can take 30 cars at once.)
3 full Traxxas "Heavy duty" (lol no) outdrives/halfshafts
5 inner half Traxxas outdrives
2 Clear spiked tires from cheap RC
4 Robber Slash 4x4 Street tires
Some suspension components
A semi-old stripped out servo
Some erector set knockoff pieces.

tank treads (I mean... maybe? just think about it.)

(nvm they're far too short, sad...)

Several not-quite functioning toy-grade RC cars.
My problem is one; I have an XL-5 ESC for brushed motors, but I don't think it works.
two, My two brushed motors are dead
three

My other two brushed motors are also dead.
Now, there are plenty of working motors scattered around the house. Problem is, they're all toy grade.

So, motors are an issue, but there's a bigger one.

I don't have a power source except walmart batteries. Should I get a high-end NiMH battery or a low-end lipo? Cuz i won't run this thing on crap batteries, it's a waste, even if i can get the voltage for it. now, I have a legacy traxxas battery with a legacy traxxas connector, in fact, the battery that came with the XL-5. The battery is dead but maybe the esc isn't
problem is
no idea if the XL-5 puts out power.
Now i could take the connector off the XL-5 but i don't wanna waste my Castle ESC on something that doesn't even work.

I'm slightly hyperactive rn so don't mind if you can't follow my logic; i tend to be an idiot during these times, as you can clearly see. Anywhooooooo... uh yeah. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I'd need to build a custom steering rack though, I have two diffs as well but they're not for the Traxxas shafts, and they were for a 4wd buggy, which has a main shaft soooo can't just slap the motor on like that.

(If you use HobbyTalk, yes this is a repost but whatever, i'm too tired to rewrite it all)