Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How can Ultracoate be re-attached around fuselage corners?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How can Ultracoate be re-attached around fuselage corners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 04:49 PM
Crazy Legs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can Ultracoate be re-attached around fuselage corners?

I have an old Hanger 9 Ultra-stick 60 (from 2008) that has the edges of the fuselage side covering coming up where it was folded over the bottom of the fuselage. It's only about 1/8th of an inch. Will a product like Coverite's Balsarite work for re-attaching that 1/8" strip back to the bottom surface of the the fuselage? The bottom surface of course is also Ultracoate. I've heard some people using thin CA to re-attach it, but that sound like a pretty Kluged solution, however, there may not be that many choices to make a repair like that.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:56 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, an application of Balsarite will help. I've done this in the past.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:01 AM
Crazy Legs

So if I paint a thin bed of Balsarite to the inside of the flap that came detached, the Balsarite will bond to the UltraCoat bottom layer of the fuselage? I'm asking if it will once again allow the UltaCoat on the side of the Fuselage to bond to the UltraCoat still stuck on the bottom of the Fuselage. Hanger 9 first ironed on the UltraCoat to the bottom and top of the Fuselage and then applied it to the sides, wrapping the side sheets around the bottom sheet by about 1/8 of an inch.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:18 AM
Lifer

It will create a bond, but not as strong as one of balsa-to-covering. But, it is an improvement. Are you using an exhaust deflector to keep exhaust residue off the joint?
Old 05-03-2022, 05:09 AM
Crazy Legs

I wasn't going to use an exhaust deflector, but certainly can. I think I have one of those curved short hoses that attach to the OS Max Muffler with a clamp. That should keep the exhaust off the fuselage.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:31 AM
Lifer

It will certainly help.