Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drag Racing
Reload this Page >

Super-light carbon fiber dragster build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

Super-light carbon fiber dragster build

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 06:38 PM
ewormm
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Super-light carbon fiber dragster build

It has been a long time since I have been on RCU. Years ago I was into all kinds of RC (planes, cars, heils). Back in ancient times (1999) I built a balsa dragster, painted it black and ran a .12 gas engine in it. It didn't run very quick but it was cool. A few years ago I shelved the RC stuff and bought an actual dragster which I run at the local drag strip (yes, it is painted black). Today with Biden's (Obama's) economy, full scale racing is getting expensive SO, I thought I would build the "Balsa dragster 2.0", except I am making it out of carbon fiber rods and CA. I sifted through a bunch of old boxes of my RC stuff, scavenged two elaborate pirate ship kites with the carbon fiber rods and here I am. It is a little redneck but I'm having fun building. I had previously made the roll cage from automotive brake line, had the wheels from a Traxxas funny car, the body from a commercially made dragster (don't remember the brand), and a handful of parts from AE and Traxxas. I have an 18 gas engine and also an electric motor which I have yet to decide which will work best. I have an Axial SCX24 rock crawler aluminum rear differential on order so we will see if that fits with the Traxxas funny car slicks and a drive shaft from the electric motor or clutch bell is going to be interesting. Yes, I'm out of the loop on RC stuff so suggestions will be welcomed including your take on whether the carbon fiber and CA will hold up and whether wheelie bars will be necessary. Cheers!

Old 08-22-2022, 06:45 PM
ewormm

Old 08-23-2022, 10:31 AM
rgburrill

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

If it were me I'd put a dab of epoxy on all those carbon fiber, CA joints. CA has horrible sheer strength. Otherwise it look cool and I hope it works for you.
Oh, I also wouldn't use a clutch with an electric motor. And electric has so much more torque at low rpm (like starting from zero) than internal combustion.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:23 AM
ewormm

I was thinking the same thing for the epoxied joints. I was also thinking that electric would be the quicker and simpler way to go. I'm not really looking to compete. Just wanted something scale looking.
The following users liked this post:
combatpigg (01-01-2023)
Old 09-05-2022, 05:13 PM
ewormm

Old 09-05-2022, 05:14 PM
ewormm

Old 09-05-2022, 05:20 PM
ewormm

Old 09-05-2022, 05:24 PM
ewormm

Almost finished and with the battery, it weighs in at 3lbs 15 ounces. Weight on the front wheels is about 12 ounces. I will post final pics when I get the body work and paint done.
combatpigg (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 09:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ewormm
Almost finished and with the battery, it weighs in at 3lbs 15 ounces. Weight on the front wheels is about 12 ounces. I will post final pics when I get the body work and paint done.
WOW...!!!
Love all of it..but especially the engineering that went into the u-joint / driveshaft and rear axle..!
Old 01-03-2023, 04:46 AM
ewormm

Finished but improvement needed. The motor was designed with a gearbox, not direct drive. I will have to get a bigger motor or incorporate the original gear box.
ahr43 (11-22-2023)