Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Foam V tail

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 08:40 AM
paof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam V tail

I need information to build the V-tail in foam
what profile to use and the thickness it should have with respect to the rot Also what would be the best way to build it with screwsThanks un AdvancePaof
Old 09-21-2022, 09:11 AM
GREG DOE

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Paof, I have been watching your post for the last 3 days hoping someone else would respond, but they haven't, so I'll try. Because of the typical thickness of a stabilizer it's probably not practical to make one from foam for a race plane. I've never heard of it being done. That doesn't mean it hasn't been done. What we do see is stabs that have glass and balsa laminate skins, with a spar, that are built in a mold. I suppose you could use the same process with foam core, and an all glass skin, or the glass/balsa skin? The most common foam is the white expanded foam like coolers are made of, but there are other foams that might work better for your project. The glider community has a lot of experience building thin wings, and stabs, so you might check them out too. I suggest you do a search for videos of composite airplane builds. You might also ask your question in the Composite thread. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:42 PM
paof

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Paof, I have been watching your post for the last 3 days hoping someone else would respond, but they haven't, so I'll try. Because of the typical thickness of a stabilizer it's probably not practical to make one from foam for a race plane. I've never heard of it being done. That doesn't mean it hasn't been done. What we do see is stabs that have glass and balsa laminate skins, with a spar, that are built in a mold. I suppose you could use the same process with foam core, and an all glass skin, or the glass/balsa skin? The most common foam is the white expanded foam like coolers are made of, but there are other foams that might work better for your project. The glider community has a lot of experience building thin wings, and stabs, so you might check them out too. I suggest you do a search for videos of composite airplane builds. You might also ask your question in the Composite thread. Good luck.
Thank you very much for your answer, investigate in the forum that you recommend, I understand that they sell a kit that the stabilizer is made of foam, thanks again. Cheers
Old 06-08-2023, 05:43 PM
Kevin Matney
My Feedback: (1)

Default foam V tail

I have been cutting cores for foam v tail for years, what would you like to know about them. I build them just like a wing, Call me if you want to take more, I just not do a great job of typing thing s out, I will look for some pics. The Dawg Gone it wood kit has a foam tail, for over 10 years
Old 06-08-2023, 05:47 PM
Kevin Matney
My Feedback: (1)

Default Foam V Tail

Found some pics from Scott Hartman