Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart 2m Avanti Experience?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart 2m Avanti Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 07:33 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Sebart 2m Avanti Experience?

Anyone try one of the larger (2m) Avanti's? I think I saw one at Best in the West this year. It appears to be a larger brother to the mini Avanti and has the same style of construction of a fiberglass fuselage and wood wings and tails. I wonder how good the quality is?
It is a bit confusing because they offer a 1.9m version too and it cost considerably less.

https://gator-rc.com/sebart-avanti-s...landing-yellow

https://gator-rc.com/sebart-avanti-x...f-landing-gear

I've heard tales of the wings ripping off the 1.9m version.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:27 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Have a local guy that flies one all the time. He pulls on it pretty hard too. Seems to be a great plane.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:01 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 163 Likes on 146 Posts

I know a guy that has one in Alberta, he had that jet for quite a while, and some video where not that gentle, flying it hard he didn’t split his wing, and I never heard of that from Sebart jets…..I build for a friend an XS and that was a nice little jet, he flew it hard and never broke either…
Old 11-20-2022, 06:25 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Some controversy exists over the SebArt Avanti S. It's a great flying model, but the landing gear is an issue. Basically, the stock gear does not work, if you want to retract the gear, you must roll the model inverted on takeoff or you can forget getting retracted. The D&L conversion to electric is a joke; lots of money and totally unreliable. Lots of reports online of these issues and despite a friend having the issue, I figured I could beat the odds by going with the more expensive XiCoy controller; I was wrong. It burnt out motors before my builder could even get it off the bench.

Last option was the Electron gear. That works really well but requires some tinkering to get it mounted and working, bad downside is that it's a $900 option.

It's a gorgeous model and very well built. I had the black/yellow/red scheme shown in the ad you linked. I also have a VT pipe installed and it flew great, very honest. Only thing I HAD to do was to remove the blue tint from the canopy and retint/spray the thing black. Made a WHOLE lot of difference in how well the model looked.

The Krill version was supposed to be an effort to offer composite wings that fit the existing model. As is common with Ivo Krill, he does not abide by agreements made in this regard. He modified the model so that his wings would not fit the older models, made a bit larger at 2.2 M so nothing interchanges. Both models fly very well, but the Krill is a chunk more money and has the same landing gear issues.

If you are wanting to go VT, you'll need a bigger engine, mine had a Behotec 180 and that worked pretty well, but something in the 200 range would be better especially if you want to do hovering.

Last edited by Zeeb; 11-20-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:43 AM
jvaliensi

I thought they used JP gear with the latest Sebart kits? My small Avanti was equipped with them and they worked great.
JP would be a lesser cost upgrade compared to the Electron.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:22 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to jump in but I think the one Zeeb is talking about is different than the one you are asking about. The one you are asking about is 1.9 meter version which is new. The one Zeeb is talking about is the original version which I believe was slightly larger. (maybe 2.1 or 2.2 meter). if you search you will find the thread for that one which if I recall correctly was started by Dr. Scoles.

Behzad
Old 11-22-2022, 04:15 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Sorry to jump in but I think the one Zeeb is talking about is different than the one you are asking about. The one you are asking about is 1.9 meter version which is new. The one Zeeb is talking about is the original version which I believe was slightly larger. (maybe 2.1 or 2.2 meter). if you search you will find the thread for that one which if I recall correctly was started by Dr. Scoles.

Behzad
I think you are confused. My model was the original 2M Avanti S with a composite fuse and built up wings.

Seba cut a deal with Ivo Krill for a version with composite wings and provide retrofit available wings for the first versions. The first thing Ivo did was to increase the size of the model to 2.1 and make design changes that would prohibit the use of the new composite wings on the original.

I've not seen anything posted by Mike concerning a 1.9M version of this model. IIRC, he did do a write up on the "mini" version of this model which was designed as a ducted fan which could be converted to a Turbine.

Last edited by Zeeb; 11-22-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:18 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Zeeb, this is what they are selling now.

https://www.sebartusa.com/online-sto...cts-p131429059

Old 11-22-2022, 08:36 PM
jvaliensi

Hi,
My 1st post has two hyperlinks to Gator RC. They are selling two versions: 1.9m and 2.0m. There is about $1k price difference between the two.

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi Zeeb, this is what they are selling now.

https://www.sebartusa.com/online-sto...cts-p131429059