Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Brakes Q & A

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Brakes Q & A

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 01:28 PM
planenutzz

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Brakes Q & A

Folks,
after some info on brake systems. Not for a jet but a large 35kg Cessna. As you jet folks use brakes the most thought you would be most knowledgeable.
Hoping to fit them to the existing Sullivan Skylite 7" wheels.
Pros / cons of pneumatic vs electric

Which company is best and why?
How are you controlling them on your Tx? Slider, rotary knob or . . . ?

thanks in advance
cheers
me
Old 12-05-2022, 02:53 PM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Air requires more items and can leak, I would recommend electric this day in time. I use a slider on my radio some put in a mix with full up down elevator to action their brakes.
The new electric brake controllers also have gyro stabilized braking which is fantastic on models
Just my opinions and thoughts of course
Old 12-05-2022, 03:26 PM
FlyJ

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Electric 100%. Fitting them to an existing Sullivan wheel is doable, but will take some engineering. Put them on a slider that you can access while still flying the airplane.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:18 PM
planenutzz

thanks guys appreciate the input. I do like the idea of electric. Electron retracts has a 5" set of electric disc brakes. Not sure if theirs have a gyro or not but they think that can be made to fit my wheels.

any recommendations for the electric brakes?

cheers
Old 12-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by planenutzz
thanks guys appreciate the input. I do like the idea of electric. Electron retracts has a 5" set of electric disc brakes. Not sure if theirs have a gyro or not but they think that can be made to fit my wheels.

any recommendations for the electric brakes?

cheers
Electron has several controllers including one with gyro stabilization. IIRC it's the 200 series and that's about what it'll cost you, Drop Greg (Electron USA) an email, he can fill you in.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:48 PM
planenutzz

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Electron has several controllers including one with gyro stabilization. IIRC it's the 200 series and that's about what it'll cost you, Drop Greg (Electron USA) an email, he can fill you in.

roger that
cheers
Old 12-05-2022, 07:58 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

The Assan AG63 controller has a gyro and only controls the brakes. It is half the cost and has the features you need without retracts.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:04 PM
planenutzz

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
The Assan AG63 controller has a gyro and only controls the brakes. It is half the cost and has the features you need without retracts.
is that brand specific ?
Old 12-05-2022, 08:26 PM
jvaliensi

is that brand specific ?
No. Brakes are electromagnets.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:39 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

I had to setup brake on a European Turbo Prop plane ˝ scale…..(we have to have brake but not the European) so I got the a set of wheels and brake from Electron, and their small and inexpensive brake controller, it doesn’t have a gyro, but got something that’s like ABS it pulse….there’s different setup, my brake are on the right end slider….
The following users liked this post:
Skunkwrks (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 01:06 PM
planenutzz

No. Brakes are electromagnets.
I realise that however being an electrical device they will have specifications for voltage and current and may not be suitable for all controllers.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:00 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I realise that however being an electrical device they will have specifications for voltage and current and may not be suitable for all controllers.
I'd talk with Greg before I made a decision about what hardware you should use way before I'd cut corners based on the opinion of someone I did not know and recommending a critical component I'd never heard of just because it's less money.

It's too bad Greg doesn't have a website for the Electron stuff, he's just into so many different things RC I imagine maintaining a bunch of websites would be spendy. I think he's got a Facebook page but I don't go there. He's got a heli, operation as well as a Turbine operation along with the Electron stuff.

JMHO......
Old 12-07-2022, 06:44 AM
jvaliensi

Electron's policy is to use their stuff exclusively or the warranty is void and we will not support you. Xicoy designed and makes their gear controllers. The Xicoy LGC-15 and Electron GS-200 are the same thing, but the LGC-15 is unlocked and can be programmed to work as needed. I ask Electron for the settings so I could program a LGC-15 for a set of Electron gear and the factory would not tell me the values and suggested that I get their controller instead. I get that they want the users to have success with their products and don't want warranty claims -

So, if you get Electron wheels and brakes and you don't mind spending an extra $100, get the GS-200 and all will be good and you'll have a warranty.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:47 AM
Dansy

Electron's policy is to use their stuff exclusively or the warranty is void and we will not support you. Xicoy designed and makes their gear controllers. The Xicoy LGC-15 and Electron GS-200 are the same thing, but the LGC-15 is unlocked and can be programmed to work as needed. I ask Electron for the settings so I could program a LGC-15 for a set of Electron gear and the factory would not tell me the values and suggested that I get their controller instead. I get that they want the users to have success with their products and don't want warranty claims -

So, if you get Electron wheels and brakes and you don't mind spending an extra $100, get the GS-200 and all will be good and you'll have a warranty.
First not all LG15 are unlock

Second perhaps it’s in the way you asked…because I got value for the electron no problem at all……and he’s just doing brakes so there no value to be had
Old 12-07-2022, 08:51 AM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
First not all LG15 are unlock

Second perhaps it’s in the way you asked…because I got value for the electron no problem at all……and he’s just doing brakes so there no value to be had
The LGC-15 you buy as an individual should all be unlocked, if not its an easy fix. LGC-15 is different than the basic electron controller, but the 200 are pretty much the same.

Last edited by FenderBean; 12-07-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:40 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by FenderBean
The LGC-15 you buy as an individual should all be unlocked, if not its an easy fix. LGC-15 is different than the basic electron controller, but the 200 are pretty much the same.
Im aware, I have a couple…but in this case he’s just doing brakes, just need the tiny electron brake controller…