Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Converting from Glow to Gas is EASY !

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 08:43 AM
Billy603

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Converting from Glow to Gas is EASY !

I read all sorts of posts where some people start with a fixed idea that converting from glo to gas is difficult.
No, it is EASY !

There are some precise things to do and then iy is straightforward.
I have summed up all the experience curve I went through in another post ("how to get it right fast"), which also lists in the proper order what to do and why.
Just follow this post and you will be successful.

Please stop reading any crap written by people who never have even tried to do it ! they are just interested in spreading their incompetence. they spend lots of time asserting wrong ideas and Bert spends much time answering that pollution of minds.

A whole bunch of really knowledgeable guys will help you the way they did for me and then SUCCESS !

About Cost:
Either you do it yourself and the cost is about in all 25 E for the Stihl solenoid.

All the rest can be done at home ! I have done it myself !
. The controller is cheap and easy stuff (10E ?)
. the software is available on github, with the drawing for the 2 components.
. the solenoid housing CAN be self made out of an aluminium rod. Two holes and that is it !

Now if you don't want to bother, Bert will be kind enough to send you everything at no profit.

SO NOW WHY NOT ?

Have a good time trying it !
Old 06-19-2023, 04:48 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

So...

just to show how easy it is, and how well it works, I spent a weekend at Billy's club, flying, and first-time start of his overhauled and converted OS FX46 (no vid of that unfortunately, but it started right up and pretty much ran OK straight from the get-go).
My Boxer spent a LOT of time in the air, demonstrating its reliability and ease of use. Unfortunately the spacewalker I brought had an electric problem (either switch or battery bad) and the small Robbe Charter lost her tailwheel after the 4th or 5th landing.

Of course I have done my best to spread the Gospel of Gasoline: I left four solenoid sets behind.

Wow, these guys over in France, they have a beautiful club and a downright AMAZINGLY well equipped club workshop, with lathe, mill, drillpress, 3D printing, CNC milling, plotter-cutters for decals and basically ANY tool or gadget an avid modeller can think of. I was literally gobsmacked...

Proof I was there:

Warning: Enthousiasm for gasoline causes spectacles, baldness and brushy eyebrows...

Really had a very pleasant and interesting weekend. Thanks for the hospitality, Guillaume, it was well worth the 7 hrs driving.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 06-19-2023 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
curtthedirt (01-31-2024)
Old 06-24-2023, 05:16 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy603
I read all sorts of posts where some people start with a fixed idea that converting from glo to gas is difficult.
No, it is EASY !

!
Not so sure where you have been reading about difficulties regarding conversion to gasoline.
There are certain areas that need attention and a few new techniques to sharpen up but today it is indeed very easy to convert a glow engine to spark ignition.
In many ways far easier than years ago.