Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Mato Metal Panzer III - the tank I never knew I wanted

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mato Metal Panzer III - the tank I never knew I wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 03:48 PM
tankme

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Mato Metal Panzer III - the tank I never knew I wanted

​This is a catch up thread as it was never posted here...

I say it's the tank I never knew I wanted because I was browsing Ebay and a Clark TK-80 board popped up for $175 with free shipping around Apr 2022. Was listed as brand new, but I wasn't sure if it was a programable version or not. I took a chance it was programable, but alas it wasn't. Now I have a nice board and no tank to use it in. No biggie as I thought I could put it in a Russian SU-76i build I've been wanting to do. That's when an all metal Mato PZ III popped up for sale on FB. I mentioned it to Kenny over at DAK and he vouched for the guy so I bought it for $360 shipped about a month later. That explains how it came to be in my possession even though I had no real desire for a PZ III. As it happens it is my first German tank build.

When it came it was all in pieces, but I knew that from the listing. The motors, sprockets, tracks, headlights, and idlers had never been mounted on it. It came with a bent barrel, but a replacement was also in the box. The servo recoil and elevation was preinstalled, but there were no instructions on anything else. I pulled a Taigen rotation unit, volume control, and speaker out of the spares box mounting them in the tank. I had the Hooben power switch from my ZTZ-99A build laying around so it got a new XT60 connector and it got thrown in the PZIII. I wanted enough room to mount my "go to" Li-Ion 2S2P battery packs and surprisingly there is a lot of room in this little tank. It came with some strange brackets which I decided were used to mount the upper to the lower. The only problem was there were no holes to mount the bracket so I drilled some right above the mounts for the idlers and I was in business. I printed myself an apple base I found on Thingiverse, fabricated an apple cable, cut a rectangle hole below the commander's hatch (in the metal which was a PITA BTW), drilled a bigger hole for the emitter tube in the mantlet, installed an IR LED, and the battle system was fully functional. I had some pre-wired SMD LEDs I dropped into the front headlights and used some Testors clear plastic glue to make some lenses for the open slits. Over two evenings all of the other electronics got wired up and tested. This is probably the fastest build minus paint I've ever done.

The rivit counter in me wanted to do a bunch of detail work to it as German tanks seem to have a lot of detail stuff - much more than Russian tanks. For the past two years it stayed unpainted while I decided what to do with it. I took it out to the battlefield and ran it as is. The little rat rod performed well, but did need to have a few things glued (like wheels) and loctited (the adjustable idler) The idler also needed wee bit of grinding as the metal tracks were dragging on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cRX0goM.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2274449

Inside shot:

Name:	h4TAaz3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2274450

Apple mount:

Name:	lyd3Bgo.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2274451

Tensioner:

Name:	SDMsbv9.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2274452

Headlights On:

Name:	faQ49p8.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2274453

Headlights off. It's hard to get a good pic of the lenses:

Name:	vAGoZN3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2274454

Pulled the on/off switch up to the rear hatch. Single thumbscrew holds the upper on.

Name:	7vEyfMf.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2274455

And that's how it sat until last night...I finally got tired of the metal hull and started painting this little guy.

I started out trying to mimic the actual camo on the vehicle the decals will represent, but then it just looked like a Cheetah with green spots. This is what the reference photo looked like:

Name:	jCkcZFG.png
Views:	37
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	2274456

I didn't care for it so I started connecting the dots and this is what I ended up with:

Name:	fLeTapZ.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	903.2 KB
ID:	2274457

Name:	MPRT5hX.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2274458

Name:	JQYqfGz.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2274459

Name:	AevwT6e.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2274460

I do still need to paint the lower plate and the rear plate, but that was how far I got on it last night before I had to go to bed. It's not correct for the surviving vehicle, but I kinda like it so it's going to stay. The running gear will remain yellow. Once the painting is done, it will need to be decaled up, sealed, tracks blued, and tracks reinstalled before she's ready to hit the field again.

That's all for now...
The following 2 users liked this post by tankme:
dsbc (07-26-2024), flyboy2610 (07-26-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 06:19 AM
Tankhobby

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

NICE! I like the paint job. Are you getting decals for the markings or painting them on?
Old 07-27-2024, 04:56 PM
tankme

Originally Posted by Tankhobby
NICE! I like the paint job. Are you getting decals for the markings or painting them on?
Thanks. I have a set from Peddinghaus I'm going to use.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:02 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice paint job 👍 I have one too but haven’t painted it yet.
Old 07-30-2024, 11:15 PM
tankme

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Markocaster (07-31-2024)