Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

0% nitro for Max-50SX-H Ring Hyper on raptor 50

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

0% nitro for Max-50SX-H Ring Hyper on raptor 50

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 04:49 PM
Thunder man

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb 0% nitro for Max-50SX-H Ring Hyper on raptor 50

Would it be feasible to run this engine on glow fuel without any nitromethane? I know that in general glow engines don't require nitro and I've heard that in Europe, many run their engines without nitro. If I'm correct, the higher the nitro percentage, the more shims you will need as to decrease the compression to prevent knocking, and if the nitro percentage is decreased than some shims may have to be removed to increase compression and therefor increase power. And as for glow plugs, the less nitro = cold plug, and more nitro = hot plug?

Right now My OS is using the stock shim and the OS 8 plug, and is running on 30% fuel.
My question is, is what should I do to prep the engine for 0% nitro? Can I run without any head gasket? is the OS 8 plug good? I'm still new to glow engines so pardon me for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2024, 08:00 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

my 50sx Heli engine came with a .010" shim. I ran 10% nitro in it without a problem. you should be able run 0% Nitro in it without a problem. you will just notice a much lower power level.
the higher your Nitro percentage is, the shorter your "Peak" tuning envelop is. meaning it is easier when tuning to hear when getting close to peak RPM (of course this works best when using props). the lower your Nitro percentage is the wider that tuning envelop is. and the wider that envelop is the easier it is to over lean your engine.
now yes. tuning Helis are different than plane with a prop. nevertheless, you will still have that wider tuning envelop whin using 0 percent in a Heli.

in my opinion you should all-ways use a shim. because if you don't the combustion will slowly defect the head service where the shim sets.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
Thunder man (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 12:56 AM
1967brutus

Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts

It has been a long time since I last ran glow fuel in helicopters, but my experience with OS is, that they generally are laid out for 10% Nitro as a minimum..
Being a flight school operator using quite high volumes of fuel, and being in Europe where Nitro is rather expensive, I used a fuel containing the bare minimum of 2%.
In OS engines that meant that the engines took forever to fully break in and settle. About a full season before needle settings became stable.
So it can be done, and in full stock form, but for me back then it was reason to change to Rossi engines, which were from the get-go laid out to run zero Nitro, and were much easier to break in and adjust, by a wide margin even.

A consideration, for what it is worth: You can run glow engines with a spark ignition, and that will COMPLETELY eliminate the need for Nitro. Running CDI will reduce fuel consumption even further (by as much as 20%), and properly tuned, this will also greatly reduce the exhaust residue and improve lubricating conditions inside the engine, extending engine life.
Starting will become easier and engine reliability will greatly improve.
Of course the downside is a bulkier set-up and a bit more weight. For some applications that is an issue, others not so much.
The following users liked this post:
Thunder man (08-10-2024)