Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

August 2024 Club 40 Race Recap

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2024, 04:44 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default August 2024 Club 40 Race Recap

Here is the latest news from our last Club 40 (Bronze class) race of the year in the “Valley of Speed”. A group of six race ready pilots arrived last Saturday at the Monroe County RC field for a fun morning to get some two pole racing in with their friends. Welcome to Mike DeNeve, he lives on the North side of Indy and he has been threatening to join us for years. Finally this year I was able to get Mike hooked up with a Club 40 racer so no more excuses from him! He is a serious 3 pole pylon racer and competes regularly in all the classes the NMPRA offers. He is used to 200+ MPH airplanes so airplanes flying at 25% speed would be something different for him. Before we started racing, Dr Matt was able to help Mike learn the course and understand the visual perspectives required to get around only 2 pylons. Remember in 3 pole you are standing in the middle of the race course.
Welcome back to Tom Koehler! He has raced with us in the past and recently retired so he has a bit more time to spend doing everything else. Then old grey fox Dave Poland had his yellow LA racer piloted by the young gun in our group Ted Backs. Speed was evident with this airplane and after 6 rounds he only had one second place finish thanks to Dr. Matt. I asked David his speed secrets and this is his set up.
O.S. La .46 O.S. #6 Glow Plug
APC 11x7 at 9800-9900 RPM but if you go leaner it will get hot and slow down.
This is a well broken in engine and has lots of running to get it to loosen up. He is also using digital servos to get a more consistent control response.
As an experiment I had installed some $10 dollar servos in my race plane and struggled throughout the day as the servos kind of did there own thing when I need tighter control responses to put in consistent laps.
Dr. Matt completed his last race in Indiana as he is moving to Texas and hopes to get Club 40 racing revitalized down south. I loaned him an airplane from my stable (please note, a fast one) and he performed quite respectably keeping up with Ted but probably didn’t have enough practice time to make the finish a little closer.
Tim Porter was happy to get in 6 rounds without having to pull out his backup airplane.
The matrix we set and then the pilot meeting was conducted so off to the races. With 6 pilots we were able to do a 3x2 race set and everyone had opportunities to fly in 6 rounds.
Second Poland Racing was the clear choice for fastest airplane on the race course and the one to beat. Followed closely by Dr. Matt with his borrowed airplane. The rest of us had the familiar struggles. After 12 heats of racing here is how we stacked up.

Pl points fast time
I 17 1:46.06* Second Poland racing Ted/Dave
II 15 1:46.29 Dr. Matt
III 13 1:57.44 Tim1
IV 12 1:57.16 Tom K
V 8 2:05.0 Tim3
VI 2 xx Mike DeNeve, ground collision

As you are aware this racing doesn’t happen without helpers that need to do the other part of pylon racing. Starter: Rick Hill
Scoring: Roman Chrzanowski
Pylon Judges: Brayton Thompson
Eric Ruggles
Lap Counters: Dave Pisoni
Lisa Koehler
Bill Laham
Thank you all and if I overlooked someone please forgive me.

The bottom line is, What do we need to do to continue racing?
We need you to come and participate in racing! Its a lot of fun and I guarantee that your pulse will quicken, what if you crash? Sometimes they are repairable other times not. This isn’t a beauty contest, I don’t care what your airplane looks like as long as its safe. We are all just having a good time with our friends in friendly competition. Please let me know if you want to race and make a commitment to join us next year in the “VALLEY of SPEED.
Lastly I want to thank Randy Rich from Riches Brew Fuels for sponsoring our race fuel for these races.
PS The finishing order was listed in roman numerals thanks to our score keeper Roman Chrzanowski
Look for an update in 2025 see you then.
Sparky