Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Storage of nitro fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 06:54 AM
Gasboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage of nitro fuel

What are the best conditions for storing nitro fuel? I have left the red plug in the top with cap and keep them in a closed cardboard box. They sit in a corner to the garage always at ambient temperature. How long can you store fuel before it might degrade. At the cost of fuel I want take precautions.
Thanks Ron
Old 08-30-2024, 11:23 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Keep it in a cool, dry, and dark place. If the temperature is going up and down severely that's not good. Some people say it can go bad. But myself I've never had any go bad.

Last edited by A. J. Clark; 08-30-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:04 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

My dad kept gallons of the stuff in our basement for over a decade. Those were metal cans back in the day. When he quit the hobby he gave them to me, and the fuel worked fantastic.
I never had any go bad unless it was an unsealed jug tied to my flight box and sat in my humid garage during a hot summer season. Now I keep 36-40 gallons in my AC climate controlled house in sealed cardboard boxes away from light, FL heat, and humidity. The oil does settles at the bottom after storage, I always shake my fuel jug before each flying day.

Last edited by J330; 08-30-2024 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2024, 08:15 AM
Gasboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies. I need to get out and use it instead of storing it.
Ron