Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Outrigger

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Outrigger

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 12:35 PM
KJGCT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outrigger

I have a plan for a 36" Outrigger RC boat. I would like it to turn well in both directons. When I was 12 I got a plan for a 13' outrigger boat. With help from my dad, I built the boat, and though it called for 9 hp my dad had a 15. The irst time on the lake I flew by my dad and my brothers who were doing over 50 mph in my dad's big block ski boat. My dad governed it down, but I am sure I was the only kid in New England with a boat that did over 50 mph! This boat had no turn fins, it had a !/4" thick fin that extened down from the bottom of each outrigger. The boat turned so hard your neck would begin to hurt. Anyone seen a RC outrigger with this set up? Do you think it would work?
Thanks
Old 09-16-2024, 06:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

No, it doesn't work with an R/C rigger. An R/C rigger is set up to turn one way at speed, usually to the right to take advantage of the prop-walking tendency of the surface drive prop set up used in this kind of boat. This would require installing a turn fin on the right sponson. If you try to put a second fin on the left sponson, to get it to turn left, the boat will tend to flip in much the same way as catching your foot on something will cause you to trip and fall.