Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

anyone used automotive clear over tamiya?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

anyone used automotive clear over tamiya?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 11:05 AM
zoltan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone used automotive clear over tamiya?

i have a project i've paint with tamiya acrylics. i'd like to have it clear coated with automotive clear to give it the best protection. has anyone done this before? did it hurt the tamiya paint at all?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: anyone used automotive clear over tamiya?

I have not used automotive clear over Tamiya, but I have been successful using clear waterbased polyeurathane. Comes in gloss and satin, and is fuel proof to 15% at least.

Les
Old 10-02-2003, 10:45 AM
zoltan

like minwax polyrylic? how long does it take to fully cure?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In my experience, polyurethane always yellows with exposure to sunlight.

I have not used automotive clear over the Tamiya acrylic but I have used it over the Humbrol flat enamel and Testors ModelMaster enamels with no problem. Light mist coats at first. In the following photo, the red, white, and blue on the tail are Testors gloss enamels and the black on the wingtip tanks is Testors flat black enamel. The dark gray inside surface of the flaps is Humbrol flat enamel. I also have a very large F-86 that is painted almost entirely with Testors ModelMaster enamel. The clearcoat on the T-33 is DuPont Nason with a 2 to 1 mix of clearcoat and flattener. The clearcoat used on the F-86 is PPG "Flexed-N-Flat" clear:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46596.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	874.1 KB
ID:	65116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48041.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	886.1 KB
ID:	65117  
Old 10-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Steve Collins

Sorry, I don't know what happened here. Apparently the auto-resizer built into the new RCU didn't work this time and the photos came across full size.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Rubbie

I don't know if this helps but I have used Lustercote without any problems at all over the Tamiya. I have heard and someone may want to chime in to confirm if Lustercote has the same properties as automotive clear.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:21 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done exactly what you are asking. I painted a whiplash with the Tamiya paints and cleared it with Dupont Chroma-Clear. The only problem is, that if you get ever the tiniest hole in the clear, from a scratch, drilled hole, etc, and glow fuel, raw or burnt, hit the hole, poof, the tamiya paint wrinkles instantly. The bubbles under the clear and will acutally run under the clear attacking the paint. It is not pretty when that happens. If you are using Glow, I would find another paint.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:54 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly like minwax. I cannot give you exact drying times. Depends too much on how thick you put it on, what the weather is like, etc.,etc.,etc. Several hours will probably be plenty.

Steve: Beautiful bird. Since REAL airplanes have round engines and two wings, that one satisfys at least one of the criteria, and so is acceptable. The solvent based polyeurathanes where slightly yellow out of the can and turned more so with age, but the water based ones are water clear, and stay that way.

Les
Old 10-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Steve Collins

Well, the engine is round, you just can't see it. And there is a left wing and a right wing; works for me.