Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Buggy's on Blacktop

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 01:55 PM
DodgeFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy's on Blacktop

I've definitely decided to go with a buggy over an ST,if I want to run it around on the blacktop am I risking damage to rollovers or will the buggy handle fine? I would think they'd have a little trouble but being new I'm not to sure.What would be a decent set of tires for the road without breaking the bank?
Thanks Guys
DF
Old 10-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: Buggy's on Blacktop

although buggies were not meant for street use, they can be used for such a purpose. Make sure that your suspension is set up accordingly. I find that soft springs, with very little droop (about 2mm) is a good setup. Medial Pro makes an excellent premounted road tire for buggies that sells for about 25.00 a pair.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:04 PM
dagass

Until a few weeks ago, I used my Hyper 7 PBS almost exclusively on the pavement. Proline makes the "Road Rage" tire which works extremely well for on road purposes. I bought mine when I got my buggy and they show very little wear.

One thing that is important when using a buggy on the pavement is to lower the suspension and get the CG down. If you're in offroad configuration with lot's of ground clearance, your buggy will almost certainly roll in tight turns. As with any other vehicle, being setup for the surface you're driving on is key.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:38 PM
studysession

I mostly take my PBS off road. When on the street, I use off road tires still and able to do a 180 at almost full speed without flipping. I keep my center of gravity low on and off road. The bottom of my chasis has the scrapes to prove it.

The good thing abt a buggy is, the flat bottom. You have the speed going, you will just slide over anything as long the front of the buggy makes it over first. Then the rest will just slide accross if wheels come off ground.

Can't go wrong with a 1/8 scale. Do you have any good rally cross tracks where you live? We have 2 within 1 to 1.5 hrs drive. I love racing them. This past weekend my steering fell in bits when a screw came out. Highly recomend, anything you get, take it apart and lock tite EVERYTHING......