Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Servo extenction

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Luisito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo extenction

I have a AW 29% EDGE 540 and I will be using Hitec 5645. Here is my question. I don't want to use an extension cord instead I want to replace the whole existing cord for a new one for the proper length with a new plug, the wire and the plugs will be from Servo City.
If any one out there can give me any feedback I will appreciate it.

Luis
Old 10-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Orbitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo extenction

I'm not exactly sure what your question is. I've replaced the wires on a few of my servos and there's nothing to it.
I'm guessing you know how to solder. Most everyone knows but when your soldering connections such as servo wires you have to make sure you get VERY GOOD connections. I don't mean 5 pounds of solder I just mean you don't want to get the connection to hot and you don't want to move the joint after you get the solder on the joint until after it hardens. MAKE SURE you don't keep the iron on the joint longer then about 5 sec. Otherwise you will risk burning the board.

Regards,
Bryan
Old 10-03-2003, 07:32 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo extenction

Rather than dig into the servo itself, the 5645 servos have pretty stout wires on them. Just cut them off about 3" from the servo case, splice and solder the required length extension wire (22 gauge, stranded) and use small heat shrink tubing on each connection. Make sure you twist the added wires, both for outside signal rejection and to keep them neat. Splice in the cut-off section with the servo plug to the other end, again with heat shrink on all 3 connections, and you're done.

Somewhere in the "old" RCU, there was a very good article on soldering. It still mey me around here somewhere. You may want to look it up. Very clear and concise, and it's the way you have to do it.