Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Care of CA Containers?????????

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Care of CA Containers?????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:55 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Care of CA Containers?????????

I admit it. I'm fed up. After years of throwing away CA bottles because they got so screwed up you had to cut them in half to get the CA out, I'm ready for some tips. The topper was when I decided to try Pacer CA. Their bottles are the worst on the market. You can't take the tops off to clean them out. Yes I know you can soak the tops in acetone and desolve out the dried CA. So far that is the only solution I have found to the clogging question. it seems no matter how careful you are cleaning the tips it's only a matter of time before they clog up. I'm open to any tips anyone is using.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:05 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Care of CA Containers?????????

I have a glass jar that I keep acetone in and I store extra tips in the acetone. When I get ready to do some work, I pull out a couple and let them air dry. When the tip on the glue bottle clogs I pop it off and throw it into the acetone and stick a clean one on. I have been using the same tips for almost two years.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:50 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always put a small T-pin in the tip when finished using and store in the frige.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:08 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I also keep a jar of acetone on the bench. Extra bottle caps are stored inside... as one clogs I swap another one on.

I aslo keep a small 5 CuFt refrig in the shop. All my CA glues are stored inside. Its hot & humid down here - a freshly-opened bottle of CA will generally thicken and go bad within 2 months.

I've also taken to storing unused nicad battery packs in there. I used to keep them in an old toolbox until I had to throw out several brand-new packs due to black-wire disease.

Its stuffed prettty full. There's only enough room left over for two Heinekens.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:54 PM
KW_Counter

Hpw does epoxy stand up to being refrigerated?
Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 10-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Balsa Master

dont refrig epoxy... for 1 it takes ages to harden and 2 it wont pour... usualy i use all my ca on the plane im on, usualy about 3 oz per plane but if not i just stop and stick a pin in the top, no tips no aceton ect... much easier... also, accelerator fums cause tip to harden so the less accelerator u use the better, makes for a better joint without it anyway...
Old 10-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

I don't mess with the caps anymore, found these neat little applicators at Balsa Products. Five in a package for a buck and they give you a nice little extension for those hard to reach places. [link=http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/mainCatalog/glueView.asp?ProductId=S012540&SmallImage=yes]Balsa Products[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94026.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	66338  
Old 10-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Small Fry

I put the cap right back on it. If its clogged at the top, I use a pin (like the kind people sew with) and stuff it down the hole. That opens it back up.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Balsa Master

take the tip of the bottle and drag it (hard) accross the corner of your woorktable, this breaks up the CA then use the pin, you get a bigger hole and a cleaner tip.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:54 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I buy my CA in one-pound bottles from Quantum, keep the bottle in the fridge, then use the little plastic pipettes (like in Pushrod's post, except I get mine at LHS packaged by Dave Brown) to suck up enough to do whatever needs to be glued at the moment. I cut the tip of the pipette at an angle so I can place the CA precisely where I want it. The long tip is great for getting down into wing joints, bottom of fuselage joints, etc. CA keeps indefinitely in the fridge (two or three years anyway). The price is pretty good buying by the pound, as long as you have some other purchases to absorb the S+H charges.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:38 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the same thing as Pushrod. Use the applicators, it makes a great way to direct the glue out of the tube in in the exact spot where you need it. And it reaches areas where you can't get the CA container. I keep mine applicator tip up in an empty pill bottle on my bench with about 1/2 of the squeeze part filled. It's great when you are gluing and need it for a spot here, and there.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Mike_Mc

I used to have all kinds of trouble with cloged tips. I tried everything and it was just pain pain pain. Now I have no problem, no tips to unclog, no t-pins, no hassles. Just one simple thing. Give it (the bottle) a little squeeze when you put it down. All the CA blows out of the tip and it never clogs. You can watch my infomercial tonight and learn my award winning secrets yourself. My complete package of Sucess With the Squeeze is only 4 easy payments of $59.95. Billed to your credit card monthly. And i f you order today you'll recieve my new book, Don't Let the Tip Touch Touch Where You've Already Sprayed Accelerator, absolutly free. That's a $0.03 value for only 4 easy payments of $59.95. You need this. Don't be an idiot and order yours today.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:11 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Mike_Mc,

You kill me!! Send me 20!!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Balsa Master

definatly need a copy of that... where can i send payment lol
Old 10-11-2003, 12:35 AM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Here is a solution, teflon tubing.

The one on the right is thin CA, which was cloged so I cut the tip and inserted 1/8" of teflon tubing and attached it to the bottle with masking tape also used the same on medium and thick CA works great. For the thin one I had 1/16" teflon tubing attach to the 1/8" which also worked great in controling the flow of thin CA much more better than the original tip since it has 1/32" ID.

Now since I am graduate Chem. Eng. student working in lab I don't have problem accessing teflon tubing and tested this, it worked great. You can obtain Teflon tubing from McMaster.

http://www.mcmaster.com

go to page 94 of their online catlog and you will see that 1/8th is $0.58/ft but the min size is 10ft roll. If you use 3 inch per CA bottle you can have 40 CA bottle tips for $5.80 +s/h.

Get your buddies because with 40 CA bottles you can build lots of planes.

No CA will stick to Teflon plus you will have access to hard to reach areas and will have a great control of the CA you hold it down and if you don't sequese it won't flow.

Use masking tape to seal the tip after use. highly recommend 1/16th for thin CA.

If you see anything sticking to the tip you can cut it, I have been using it for 3 months and I did not need to cut any yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22336.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	66952