Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Whats the best Electric for Outdoors flying?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Whats the best Electric for Outdoors flying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 02:13 AM
Banished Outside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best Electric for Outdoors flying?

Hi All,

I am currently learning with a Feda Dragonfly, but I have to fly in the garden (too much damage in the house!!), getting a wind free day is quite rare so I struggle to get a stable hover. (I can keep it in the air for a full battery, but need about 4m square area)

I thought a Heading Lock gyro may help, but I'm unsure if I could fit it to my all in one board FEDA.

Or I'm considering another heli, either a corona or a piccolo pro, which would be most stable outside and which would give the longest life before wanting to upgrade (if its a trade off, which would you suggest for an amateur?)

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-07-2003, 03:01 AM
Supersix

Default RE: Whats the best Electric for Outdoors flying?

if u get a hh gyro then u can get rid of the feda board and upgrade to brushless motor(with brushless motor esc)
Old 10-07-2003, 04:42 AM
tocano

I have a dragonfly and corona. Corona is a lot more stable than dragonfly and great for outdoor. I never have a picollo but I would think Corona is more stable because of the begger size. The drawback with Corona is FP and CP upgrade is not yet available as far as I know. Last Sunday I flew my Corona into a tree but no damage, I simply straigthen the tail boom and fly again.
I also have a HH gyro gy240 on the dragonfly and has really help me to hover. It works great too with the stock Feda mixer and esc board. But I have gone seperate escs now since I fried the board last week (I have speed 300 on the main motor and edp100 for the tail).
Old 10-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Banished Outside

Cheers Guys,

Supersix - I guess that would mean buying a receiver, 2 x Esc's, HH gyro,brushless motor?
Is the FEDA worth the outlay??

tocano - how did the HH gyro fit to the stock board (was it like mine - below)

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29049.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	66139  
Old 10-07-2003, 08:36 PM
tocano

Steve,

Wee have a very different feda board. Mine is only mixer and escs. Looks to me yours have receiver and maybe gyro on the same board.
I don't know how you can fit the gy240 with the board.
I didn't realise they are more than one feda board.

Maybe someone else can help?
Old 10-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Banished Outside

Cheers mate,

Looks like seperates then!

Steve
Old 10-08-2003, 05:55 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Banished Outside--

If I were you I'd stop spending money into the micro all together, at least for a while.

If it's always breezy outside, you'd have a lot more fun with another heli.

I loved my Hbird which I had most of the cf and aluminum goodies plus a brushless set up and hornet blades, indoors or when it's very calm to no wind, it's a blast but in the breeze, it wasn't fun at all, it's always breezy here too and I no longer have the space indoors due to a recent move so I had to let it go. I was tempted to convert it to cp but opted to just get an Eolo instead for the backyard fix as I heard great things about it and didn't wanna risk wasting more money in the micro and being dissapointed as I've heard of numerous others, don't get me wrong, they have their place and are a blast and when I have a decent size area indoors, I'll probably get another... but for breezy/windy situations, they're not optimal..

If you do get another heli, skip on over straight to cp, you will really enjoy it, no more of the wind dictating where your heli goes plus, descending in the wind is actually fun as you have full control because of the constant headspeed, flying becomes a whole new ball game! Depending on what kind of space you have available, the Eolo is supposed to be a great little heli, great if you don't have too much space, I havent built mine yet so I couldn't say at the moment, if you have a big backyard, then a Logo 10 is a Suuuper Ultra smooth and stable machine and you will have a blast when you take it to the park and do circuits with it plus your learning will accelerate much faster. Both of those are kinda pricey to set up though so it depends on your budget...
Old 10-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Banished Outside

Cheers Astronut,

"it's always breezy here too"

I'd rather have your location than mine [8D] LOL!

So I gather that the eolo is bigger therefore more stable outside, can it be flown on a 4ch radio?
What sites would you recommend - money is a factor (I'm a tight Yorkshireman & the wife is even worse!)

Steve
Old 10-08-2003, 02:55 PM
savagegti

sorry steve
your gonna have to let the moths out
I ve moved on from a hb/df
eola is a lot more fun and expense
computerised tx with 5 point throttle and pitch curve is just the beginning
check out
http://www.geocities.com/jerrysimonsimon/index.htm
http://www.rchover.com/Default.htm

Jim
Old 10-08-2003, 10:24 PM
tocano

I think astronut has a very good point. I just calculated that my HB has cost me very close to what I spent on my Corona. The different is I hardly have to do anything with my Corona except when I crashes it. The only mods I have with my Corona is the Voyager landing gear and a diy boom crash protector.
While with my HB it started cheap and quickly become more & more expensive because the need to upgrade/mod it. I have not heard anyone that has not change the main or tail motor in the first month. So far I have gone through 5 pairs of blades. I still have the spare blade of my corona in the plastic bag.
Also for my case I have to paint the wall and ceiling, too many blade marks.[]
The advatanges are I can fly at night and when it's windy or wet oustide.

Personally I find that HB is good for someone who like to tinker. For people who only like to fly it will be frustrating. I am putting a stop on my HB mods before it cost me too much. Well mayhe another mods or two.

Astronut, I heard many good thing about Eolo. But will you recommend it for a beginner?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:29 AM
OmegaDot

Also for my case I have to paint the wall and ceiling, too many blade marks.
You made marks on the ceiling!? Wish I could get my SkyLark to climb that high.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:42 PM
tocano

I heard Skylark has similar setup to HB. If you change the motor to speed 300 you can draw a picture on your ceiling with the rotor. Just make sure the esc can handle it.

My HB doesn't get off the ground with stock 280 motor, about 2' with the improve stock 370. Both motors used to work well for a short time.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:12 AM
OmegaDot

Did I read that you were using the Acro 280BB at one time? How was that, compared to the 300? Thanks
Old 12-19-2003, 07:11 AM
gordongoly

Hi, I have the Aero Hawk. I am a newbe. is there any one what is the best modification to make flying easyer?