Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sanction rulings

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sanction rulings

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:05 PM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanction rulings

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd give my understanding of what the AMA ruling is about test flying a new model at an event.

When the pilot shows up at a sanctioned event, he is asked to sign 2 declarations. One is that he has flight tested the model before entering it in a competition or event. The other is that he will abide by the AMA Safety Code.

We all know that the very safest place to test fly a new turbine model, with proper supervision and help, is at a huge area designated specifically for jet flying. Certainly a test flight is safer with an experienced JPO member at your side than at the club field with no help in site! However, the AMA sees it differently. The AMA would rather have the model test flown at a private or club field and deal with the consequences if something were to go amiss.

However, in someone's divine wisdom, the AMA has created a loophole in this declaration, large enough to fly a KingCat through. From what Carl Maroney, AMA's council, has told me directly, the AMA sanctioned event is under the insurance rules and safety code guidelines rules only as long as the CD is on site. No, they are not suspended if he leaves to go to the bathroom, but, until the CD arrives, and after he goes home for the day, the field reverts back to the same category as any other club field. And that simply means that any pilot is under the very same AMA guidelines and Safety guidelines he would be if he were at home! Example: Suppose Metropolis Airport were regularly used by a local club. Flying is over at 6pm. Jerry goes home. At 7pm, some local club members come out to fly in the evening. One of us stays around and decides to join them. We are now under the AMA ruling, meaning we are under AMA's insurance, same as if there were no contest at all taking place! Therefor, we are legally allowed to test fly our new aircraft.

Hope this clears things up and I certainly apologize if I misiturpretted Mr. Maroney.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Sanction rulings

Frank:

Thanks for the clarification. One additional point though:

As I understand it, you are always covered by AMA insurance no matter where you fly (AMA field, non-AMA club, your own back yard, anywhere). This is in effect as long as you are abiding by AMA rules (not necessarily at a club site).

So in your example, after the CD leaves, it appears that the "event rules" are no longer in effect and as long as you abide by normal AMA rules you are covered by AMA insurance?

Is this correct?

Thanks