Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Ultracoat paint

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ultracoat paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 02:43 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracoat paint

Tried the Ultracoat paint tonight:
Matches Ultracoat (duhhh)
Gives a very fine coat with a good wide spread. No noticable spatters after the first few spurts. Good coverage with multiple fine coats.
More of an enamel smell than the laquer or dope smell of the Aerogloss. Wife is VERY sensitive about smells.

White was sprayed over automotive sandable primer, masked with pinstripe tape - good line that way. I used white because the color coat will be cub yellow on an Ultimate to match the cub yellow stripes, however, the overspray would seem to indicate that there's enough pigment to give good coverate.

Now the tests will be to use the yellow for the sides, then the deep blue for the main areas and see if it bleeds at all. So far the finish if very respectable if not a mirror finish but definetly good enough to match my Ultracoat work.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:19 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Ultracoat paint

The real tests will be how it holds up to fuel. I used the Ultracote True Red paint and the second fuel hit it, it started to come off, I had paint EVERYWHERE!!!! I called Horizon and they sent me a new can of red and a can of clear coat. I repainted and will let you know what hapens after I take it out tomorrow..

I have heard from quite a few other people that this stuff bleeds...
Old 10-11-2003, 02:14 AM
MAJSteve

Sounds like time for some field trials. I use 10% nitro and 20% oil (added some castor). I'll use a bleach bottle, sand and prime, wait my normal 24 hrs and do a stripe of each of the colors I have, then a cross band of white to show if it bleeds.

Did you have your problem with raw fuel or exhaust?

So far I'm up to the cub yellow over the white with no problems - this stuff dries to the touch in less than 20 minutes at 90 degrees (our night temp).
Old 10-12-2003, 12:27 AM
gfinan

I had the same problem with the dark blue UltraPaint. 10% raw glow fuel ate it the second it hit it. Even after letting it cure for a month; Same problem. I ended up spraying clear Lustercoat on it to fix the problem. Good luck[8D]
Old 10-12-2003, 03:38 AM
MAJSteve

Beginning field trial - after 24 hrs, regular paint masking tape adhesive is left on the paint - NOT a good thing. Attempts to gently remove it took off the paint. Read the can and it says 72 hrs before recoating, so I'll leave the other side alone and test that after two more days. Definetly appears to be plain enamel of a good quality, so I could live with a clear coat on it, but if masking is going to be this much of a problem, I may have to rethink the idea.

Also might get some 3-m blue masking tape and see what happens.

No evidence of bleed however.

I have a feeling its going to be a strip and redo on the yellow, but I'm going to try a wet sanding on it first to see if it sands clean.

More to come.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:51 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Flew all day yesterday and most of the day before that. I am getting a slight bleed from the paint, but I am thinking the little bit is from the areas that are possibly not fully coated with clear coat. Clear coat is the key.