Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

throttle pitch curves????

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

throttle pitch curves????

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 01:20 PM
mattijs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle pitch curves????

What are they for? I always assumed that a CP heli is able to have a different range of head speeds and that the pitch isn't really attached or something too the throttle channel.
The phrase throttle-pitch curve insinuates that there is a certain programmed or mechanical link between the trhottle and pitch, making me very confused...

Also, what is governor??? I know it has something to do with brushless motor / controllor. I read sopmething about it on deeteeenterprises. Supposedly brushless motor's such as the hacker b20 do not really provide mote power than the standard 300 but they have the advantage of having GOVERNOR ???? confused again

I'm keen on knowing as much as possible about micro heli's because I intend to buy one very soon
Old 10-12-2003, 02:09 PM
mattijs

Default RE: throttle pitch curves????

A bit of browsing the web learned me that governor is a way of monitoring the rpm and actually keeping it or alteast trying to keep it constant....Sounds like a awsome feature, but is it also as usefull when your heli has a heading hold??? Too me it seems thet that a change in headspeed makes the heli turn, shouldn't the heading hold counter this wth tail input hence eliminating the need for a real constant head rpm????
Old 10-12-2003, 06:41 PM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Hi, like you said, yes the governor mode is similar to what cruise control in a car does, it tries to keep the headspeed as constant as possible. The main benefit to this is so that when you increase blade pitch which puts a bigger load on the motor and will slow it down, the governor mode will help increase throttle and headspeed back to where it was. Now if you're descending and you decrease pitch or even give negative pitch, the governor will help stabilize the headspeed so you don't over rev your motor and drive train because without a governor, if you suddenly decrease the pitch, the motor and drive train will over rev which can cause premature wear or even damage.

As far as the heading hold gyro, it doesn't really make too much of a difference whether you're running a constant speed cp or a fp heli. The principles are similar with both, if you increase headspeed in a fixed pitch or increase pitch in a cp, the blade torque will try and turn the tail with either so the gyro's job is still the same.

Now just to clarify a bit on the throttle and pitch curves. The best wait to run a cp heli is with a constant headspeed, which will vary depending on what you want. Be it sport flying, just hovering, duration, 3D etc. Of course, lower, you get better duration and higher, you get more power but sacrifice duration. It's most efficient to run the esc at close to 100% so the esc doesn't have to rid of the extra energy which turns to heat, you then use different pinion sizes or power source to get the headspeed you want. Of course you have the governor mode on to maintain a constant headspeed.

The lift of the heli will be controlled strictly with pitch changes of the blades, so whether you're descending, hovering, climbing the headspeed remains close to the same that way you get the nice cyclic response throughout which is the greatest benefit to cp other than 3d of course. Plus you get better throttle response because of the constant rpm.

As opposed to a fixed pitch where you have to increase throttle to lift which of course will not be as instantaneous plus when descending you have to lower the throttle and headspeed which you sacrifice cyclic response and control and if it's breezy, you have to really drop the headspeed which sometimes makes it very difficult to control.

As far as the Hacker b20 motor etc. I believe you might have misunderstood the article, the b20 is a brushless motor. The governor mode is found in the esc's which control the motors, the motor pretty much just gets the power and spins, the esc controls and regulates how much power the motor gets. So the governor will be found in the esc's not the motors.

I hope I could help clarify things a bit...
Old 10-13-2003, 10:44 AM
mattijs

I really appriciate the effort of putting together such a long reply but to be perfectly honest i already figured most of what you said out. I did not, however, get too me that when you lower the rpm on a FP to go downwards you loose cyclic control responsivness. I also still don't quite get when pitch curves come into the equation. I suppose they are jyst a way to make your transmitter's sticks translate into a non lineair esc output....BUT, to what extend, what is the purpose of having a non lineair throttle response...
Old 10-13-2003, 02:42 PM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

ok, when the headspeed drops, you lose cyclic response and stability, so when you're descending on a fixed pitch heli, especially in a breeze where you have to lower the headspeed quite a bit is when these will happen.

Now pitch curves is for a cp heli as you know, with the headspeed spinning at a constant rpm, the "throttle" stick just controls the pitch of the blades for lift and descent. The pitch curves are adjusted to fine tune what kind of pitch travel you want, be it -3 to +10 for normal sport flying or -10 to +10 for 3D etc.

I'm not sure I understand your question 100% but you asked "what is the purpose of a non linear throttle response?" The purpose of this is to maintain the higher optimum headspeeds at all times so you maintain the crisp cyclic response all the time whether descending, landing etc.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:37 PM
mattijs

Now i get it...you actually soft clip the range of the collective servo's on a micro?
I thought these tiny servo's wouldn't have the accurancy.
Thanks for the help, for every thing I learn on micro heli's or bigger ones, the choice (hornet , piccolo , hummingbird with ccpm3dhornet head.....) and i'd love to get one of em.