Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

need help with scale lettering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

need help with scale lettering

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:47 AM
kiwi pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with scale lettering

I have a 1930's Puss Moth 80inch wingspan and the lettering on the fuse sides has to be white letters with a black outline and the wings Blue letters with a white outline. I wanted to use solartrim to do it...does anybody have any ideas on how I can go about it?
Old 10-14-2003, 07:28 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need help with scale lettering

You can do the lettering on your computer; it may take a few attempts to get the right font an size.

Then tape the lettering to the backside of your covering and 'carefully' cut them out.

If you make a second set just slightly larger, you can use the lager size as the outline. Cut the letters so they're only a 1/4" thicker than the originals. When you overlay the smaller letters the 'outline' will be 1/8th".

Time consuming, and very fussy work, but it's do-able. The other alternative would be finding a graphics shop that could make them for you. Less time, but a lot more money.
Dennis-
Old 10-14-2003, 03:31 PM
higheronnitro

Hi there Kiwi pete
Everyone knows that Kiwi's can't fly!
I read an interesting article in the english mag RCMW on this topic. Type out the letters on a PC using the font that you need and the right size. Invert and glue to the solartrim backing and cut out letters. Now stick the letters to a sheet of solartrim of the correct background colour and carefully cut around leaving the outline ( You will end up with two layers of solartrim ) Check first with the white on black that there is no show through !
All the best Steve
Old 10-14-2003, 09:49 PM
DBCherry

Deja' vue.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:12 PM
higheronnitro

Just goes to show that great minds think alike.
It takes me so long to type the odd sentence that DB has already answered your question.
Steve
Old 10-14-2003, 11:55 PM
kiwi pete

Hey thanks everybody - yes kiwis cant fly but we were the first to build a plane and have a go...yeh yeh yeh the wright brothers this and the wright brothers that..but good old kiwi number 8 wire ingenuity got us up in the air first...(unofficially...!)
higheronnitro FYI I got the plane at the Tauranga Auction and I fly at Matamata!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:30 PM
DBCherry

No problem Steve! I type pretty slow myself. (May have even started typing 10 minutes before you!)
Dennis-
Old 10-15-2003, 08:34 PM
higheronnitro

I hope you were not the one that out bid me for that moth!!
Only kidding, The Hamilton auction was a blast as well ( so long as you can sit for hours there are some real bargain's to be had ). I fly with the Whakatane club. Last night (Wed) was perfect, I got to the field at 5:30 and flew to 7:45 ( ran out of gas and light !! ) Bliss
Steve