Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

jet hangar hawk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

jet hangar hawk

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 05:42 PM
VIRUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jet hangar hawk

hey everyone,
i was thinking of getting one of those jet hangar hawk/wren mw 54 combos....anyone has any experience with this plane? is it a good set up for getting into turbines with?
thanks,
lee.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: jet hangar hawk

Yeah i'm thinking of the same setup, wonder if it will do ok off a 400ft grass strip?
Old 10-19-2003, 10:26 PM
jcarl
My Feedback: (3)

I am working on a JHH Hawk now. I am concerned about the glue the formers were installed with as it is very brittle. I am reinforcing all the former joints with Aeropoxy. I would not consider anything larger than a 12 lb. class turbine for this airplane. I have some concerns about the stabilator linkage strenghts also. The ducted fan version of this plane and the turbine vesions are indentical as far as the airframe. I think that with a turbine in it, the pilot should fly it gently. Cosmetically, the plane is very attractive and the desighn was well thought out. Keep in mind, that is was desighned around a .46 sized ducted fan set-up.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hello All

The JHH hawk flys well on an MW-54. It is also strong enough to stand up to turbine flying. You might want to check the joint between the intakes and the nose there is not lots of fiberglass due to the shape of the aircraft in that area. You might want to reinforce that.

Also keep it light as possible and it will fly good. When you fly it please make sure you fly it smooth, and use the flaps on landing they work well.

Here are some videos in Quicktime of it flying.

http://www.hawaiijets.com/aircraft/hawk/hawk.htm

Yes it will fly off of grass as you will see in the video. Make sure it is cut short and it is dry; wet grass will stick like glue.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:06 PM
VIRUS

thanks for your replies everyone.....when you say fly it "smooth" and "gently", does that mean i'll be limited to a few low passes and an occasional roll or something?? another thing, how does the wren perform in some of the other models...like say a yellow f-18 or f-16? would it be enough power for these models? i was even thinking of converting my yellow f-4 to turbine and putting the wren in it as my next project after the hawk...
thanks again,
lee.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:50 PM
DaFatha

Gentlemen,

I flew my Hawk on a Turbax/OS .46VX system for 2-1/2 years prior to installing a Wren MW-54 engine in it. I made no structural changes, put 60 oz. of fuel in it, and have gone on to fly it flawlessly since that time. The 1/4" elevator shafts are plenty strong enough to handle the load. The concern should be that a proper servo be used to do the job. We recommend AT LEAST 135 oz. in. of torque for the elevator. The airplane weighs 12# 3 oz. with brakes (no fuel). It comes off the ground in less than 150 feet--and it will fly out of grass. Remember that grass is a living thing and one day when the grass is long, you may not get out of it, so consider flying after the grass is mowed rather than before. Loops are about 1200' in diameter!

Regarding flight characteristics, the Hawk is a scale airplane; it has a short-coupled fuselage. With the Hawk I do any maneuver that the US Blue Angels can do with their F-18 Hornets. If you fly it like a Formula 1 model, you will have trouble with it because of the short-coupled fuselage. So....if you flew a full-size Hawk, you would experience the same flight characteristics. You can yank and bank it, but don't pull short diameter, high-G turns.

I've enjoyed this airplane immensely.

Best regards,
Larry Wolfe
Old 10-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Mokulele
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aloha,
I also flew that Hawk you see in Aero65's video with a RAM 750. It weighed in at 16 lbs dry. I flew it once with the 750 and that was enough as it was ballistic, 180 mph or better, but the Hawk did handle the loads with no structural failures. I then installed a MW 54, that's what you see on the grass take off and flyby, and it was fast. It weighed in at 14 lbs dry. I never flew it, with the 54, at full throttle for more than a circuit but the estimated speed was probably close to, if not exceeding, 160 mph. This MW 54 tested at 12 lbs on the test stand and installed in the Hawk. The Hawk will snap on you if you pull too tight of a turn so you need to fly it as per Duke's and Larry Wolfe's recommendations. I did reflex the ailerons up 1/8" above neutral. This did reduce the tendency to snap on tight turns. This may not be needed on your bird. The JHH Hawk is a strong bird and will easily handle the loads with a MW 54 or similar engine installed.
Larry