Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

1/4 J-3 from Balsa USA engine and servos

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/4 J-3 from Balsa USA engine and servos

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Navigator-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 J-3 from Balsa USA engine and servos

Two questions. Can a G23 or G26 be used in place of the 1.20 engine?
Will S3004 servos be OK for the control surfaces?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Driver9
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 1/4 J-3 from Balsa USA engine and servos

Navigator,

I asked just about the same question about an engine for this plane last week without any replies. I was thinking a G23-G26 or an RCS140 would do nicely. I'll keep an eye out on your thread.

Good Luck,
Driver9
Old 10-27-2003, 11:00 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

I don't have a Balsa USA Cub, but I do have a Sig 1/4 scale Cub that's about the same size. Mine has an RCS 140 in it, which I feel after flying it for a while doesn't completely over power it. It's definitely more than enough, though. And it beats the heck out of going through a $12 gallon of glow fuel every week or so too!

Not too sure about the Zenoah engines fitting under the cowl (they'd definitely hang out the bottom quite a bit); I just have a slot for the spark plug boot in mine.

The Zenoah weighs about a half pound more than the RCS, and about a pound and a half more than a 120 four-stroke glow, so plan your weight distrubution accordingly. But I think any of the three (G23, G26, or RCS 140) would work fine in your Cub.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:36 AM
davidm
My Feedback: (18)

I built the Balsa USA L-4 kit they had out for a few years, same kit as the Cub, but with the extra windows. I power it with the McCulloch 28 trimmer engine converted by CH. I added extra 5/32 wire braces in the cockpit area for extra strenth.
Standard servos, I did attach all the windows with button head screws incase I need to work on the cabin area. Replaced the gear with a solid one. Very solid kit but, lots of building. The engine runs smooth and all that wood hardly shakes when it runs.
I do have the Balsa USA J-3 kit for sale with the fiberglass cowling for $175.00 for both, will throw in a McCulloch 28 trimmer engine ,never flown,for another $50.00

David
Old 10-29-2003, 01:50 AM
hangaround

I have a Balsa USA 1/4 Cub, mostly used for glidertowing. It is powered by a ZDZ40 and using Hitec 425 servos. Depending on the muffler the engine will fit inside the cowl. The plane is not modified except for tailbracing and thin plysheeting on verical stab. With more than 100 flights, including hovering, torquerolling, wild snaps and other fun and stupid stuff, i can say it is more than robust enough for this kind of power.

26 MB glidertow.
http://www.lomcevak.net/modellfly/vids/seilflytrekk.avi

Sam[8D]
Norway
Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 PM
thumper31725

what about the saito 120 twin will it work in a 1/4 cub am in the process of starting my first scale project and have a balsa cub on its way
Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a Balsa USA 1/4 scale with an old OS 1.20 Gemini. It is plenty of power.

david