Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 55 Extreme

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 12:19 PM
GoldenEagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME 55 Extreme

OK, what's the latest on the 55's release since the 110's are now shipping? I NEEEEED one!!
Old 10-29-2003, 12:40 PM
Tim_Indy

Default RE: BME 55 Extreme

Hey Chris, I'm thinking the priority now is filling the several hundred orders for the 110 Extremes. Still will be a couple of months before the 55's are shipping, I'll bet.

If my 110X is any indication (and I'm sure it is), then it will definitely be worth hanging in there.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:44 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Chris,

I have 2 of the 55 XTs on order.....I have tried to email Kieth twice in so many months and have had no replies yet. I know Kieth is very busy, but I think he really needs to step up to the plate and start getting things taken care of. I put these two on order LAST YEAR when he stated they would be out by JANUARY, then APRIL and so on. I have flown several of his engines and I do really like them so I will definitely continue to wait on these two. I also sent him an email stating that I was going to put my name on the list for one of the 110 XTs, but again, no reply. Even if the 55 only puts out the same power as a 50, this is going to be an awesome engine just for the fact that it will be at least 1 pound lighter than all the other 50s
Old 10-29-2003, 07:42 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

It seems that this waiting game is all to common with BME. I hope this new 110 gains some ground back with me. Competition is good. I have a nemic 100 to say the least and waited 5-1/2 months for a 102 that has been a major pain. It took 7 months to get a crashed 102 repaired that belonged to a friend which he immediately sold. Im kinda BME'ed out along with a couple others I know. When all this 110 hype settles down maybe I will reconsider till then my DA's and 3W's and a sick BME 100 will have to fill the bill..
Old 10-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Kris^
Banned

Getting one of these engines into production stage is a major effort for anyone. New problems and considerations come up all the time, so much so that DA is not even whispering anything about which engines it is developing and will let you know when they are ready to ship. . not a minute of lead time. .(or so I've been told) The same goes for 3W, who comes out with things and doesn't let anyone know it's going to happen.

Unfortunately, BME let the cat out of the bag a bit early, and people have been champing at the bit ever since. . only to be disappoitned when they did not get the engine NOW.

A current update on the 55 is that the crankcase design is finalized, the pre-production crankshaft assemblies are about to be tested, and then things will get rolling toward a release date in late December or early next year, depending on how the development process goes.

That's about the most accurate timetable anyone is going to be able to come up with. . and the 55's will be here when they get here, not a moment earlier, unfortunately.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:50 PM
CAPtain232

A current update on the 55 is that the crankcase design is finalized, the pre-production crankshaft assemblies are about to be tested, and then things will get rolling toward a release date in late December or early next year, depending on how the development process goes.

Kris, that's what Keith told me about 3 months ago. Everything that you stated in the last post here is ABSOLUTELY correct. Even though I am a huge fan of BME, I would much rather be SURPRISED by the announcement of a new engine that is READY TO SHIP vs the long waiting periods that are starting to become very common with BME. As I said, I will wait for them (actually I have no choice if I really want one), but I still think that Keith needs to pick up the pace.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:54 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Kris^

Getting one of these engines into production stage is a major effort for anyone. New problems and considerations come up all the time, so much so that DA is not even whispering anything about which engines it is developing and will let you know when they are ready to ship. . not a minute of lead time. .(or so I've been told) The same goes for 3W, who comes out with things and doesn't let anyone know it's going to happen.

Unfortunately, BME let the cat out of the bag a bit early, and people have been champing at the bit ever since. . only to be disappoitned when they did not get the engine NOW.

That's about the most accurate timetable anyone is going to be able to come up with. . and the 55's will be here when they get here, not a moment earlier, unfortunately.

Thanks for the update Kris, I also have been on the waiting list for this engine since it was announced. I can wait for it until around January, after that, DA gets my money.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:46 PM
GoldenEagle

Jan., huh? Well DA is likely to get my cash long before then. I'm running a BME 50 in a DP Edge and like the combo well enough. But, I have a GP Christen Eagle needing a mill and was just thinking...BME 50 in the Eagle and a new 55X in the Edge which could sure use the lighter weight. I could then pull the 4 oz. of lead and the batt pack out of the Edge's tail. HATE adding weight to a plane to make it balance.

I'm with you Cap'n, less promotion and more production!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:40 AM
P-51B

So, January is here...anyone heard any updates on if this engine will actually ever ship?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:45 PM
CAPtain232

I have tried to email Keith a couple of times and NO RESPONSE...I suppose he is getting tired of the emails on the 55, but I am getting tired of waiting on the 55
Old 01-08-2004, 01:44 PM
DanS

I was reading in one of the other BME threads that they are still having a problem filling the back orders on the 110's. Sounds like it could be awhile until the 55 is out. I've been on the waiting list since early last year but was in no hurry since I hadn't even started my Edge. Well, the plane is almost done and I'm at the point where I need the engine. I would be willing to wait a little longer if I knew I could get it in a couple weeks but that doesn't look good. Anybody have a good 50cc gasser they want to get rid of while I wait for the ever elusive BME 55 Extreme?
Old 01-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The old "can't get ignitions" thing again ? if that were the problem there are other ignition companies out there...Sorry, guys, I can't believe a company that was holding back orders from as much as a year ago would not investigate other sources....
Old 01-08-2004, 03:09 PM
P-51B

Well, I have been on the list since the beginning. Wasn't in any real hurry. Bought a GP Patty Wagstaff last summer, knowing I woudn't get to it until......around next month now. Once the end of January approaches, DA will be getting my money!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:29 PM
CAPtain232

I have been waiting since Sep/Oct 2002...At that time of course I knew it would be a little wait.....Was supposed to be Jan 2003...Here it is Jan 2004........I know that R&D takes a while, but he let the cat out of the bag WAYTO EARLY and got a lot of peoples hopes up......
Old 01-08-2004, 04:46 PM
barryb-RCU

The latest I have from him (one of the guys at my airfield visted Keith two weeks back) is that he's "finalized his crankshaft design and is waiting to have 5
built. He'll then build and send out 5 test engines". My friend said "so then you'll get crankshafts in a month, send out your engines in February, test through July, make a production order, change suppliers due to a delivery problem in October, and ship in December 2004".
Keith replied (this is second hand) "well, I'd like for that to be more like July, but.... that's probably about right".

Sucks because I want a BME 55 real bad, but I'm gonna be forced to live with the DA 50 for awhile...
Old 01-08-2004, 04:56 PM
DanS

Looks like someone else will be getting my money very shortly.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

I'm with yah. I am on the waiting list for the 55xtreme for a GP christen eagle. I will be taking my time and making some changes but I will not sit around waiting for an engine. If it's not out by may, then it's DA for me.
What's most upsetting is that he isn't responding to our emails. Maybe if we could hear something straight from the horses mouth.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:36 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Get a DA-50 and be done with it. They service is obviously better the people at BME can't even seem to answer customer emails.. I ordered my DA on November 5 got it on November 12 [sm=thumbup.gif] and like Dave told me on the phone "you bye the service we give you the engine" enough said...
Old 01-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Will be really cool and interesting to see the new 55 when it finally does come out. I bet it will be October or so, by then, DA and 3W will probably have a 55 and 110 made heh
Old 01-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I was curious, so I talked to Bill Carpenter about 4 this afternoon..The problem with BME deliveries is NOT availablity of ignitions..He has at least 40 twin ignitions on the shelf..He said to tell anyone who wants a BME and thinks there are no ignitions, to BUY the BME without ignition and call him, he will give you a discount and send the ignition right out..So much for ignition excuses.....[8D]
And rumors and secondhand information...
And someone deleted the post about ignition being the problem, but not my reply..So what gives ??
Old 01-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Jemo

DA might have the 75 out by then
Old 01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry Ralph, I edited that part of post 11 which was untrue, which you just confirmed in post 20
Old 01-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Kris^
Banned

Let me ask you all something. If Keith had not announced that he was DEVELOPING this engine 2 years ago, and you were all sitting there fat, dumb, and happy. . would this thread even exist?

DA has about 8-10 times the resources of BME, 3W probably 50-100 times as much, yet you all expect that BME will slam out new designs and engines as fast as the competitors. It takes a lot of time, effort, MONEY, and concentrated focus to get a product like this to market. I'm not making any excuses for BME, that an announcement of production being eminent was made was, at best, misleading. Keith and I talked about this in November, and a couple of BME competitors have made the same mistake and also vowed never to do it again. I realy bet you will NOT hear about the DA 75 before they have about 50 ready to ship. . . .

The 55 will be here when it GETS here. Not sooner. Conjecture as to WHY (oh it has to be SOMEBODIES fault, right???) BME cannot crank out 40-50 engines a week, why YOU didn't get YOUR engine when YOU wanted it, why why why (waahhh I want it NOW. . whimper whimper whimper tantrum and destructive throwing fit. . . . . . ).

Now, a few suggestions, .. .first off, stop conjecturing as to why BME may, or may not, be shipping engines to whomever. The truth is that except during the Christmas season they have been steadily cranking out about 20-25 110's per week, about 30-40 50's (as asked for) PLUS repairing engines as quickly as they can get parts for them (remember a lot of older designs are weedie based, sometimes it takes 3-4 weeks to get replacement parts) Second, if you want a 55. .wait . .if not, go buy a DA50, I highly recommend it, or order the BME 50, which is as good a motor as the DA50 ever thought of being. Third, forget about yelling about "ignition" shortfalls, C&H has been giving BME all the ignitions they order, and every engine ships with an ignition now. Fourth, BME has two guys working there. . . maybe they are BUSY. When I was there I answered a few phone calls while Steve and Keith WORKED, I even wrote down a few orders and boxed some stuff up for them. I can't recall ONE phone call that lasted less than 10 minutes, and a couple lasted about 25-30. I was on vacation, and spent about 6 hours of it talking to BME customers. . it gave me a bit of insight into what Keith goes through on a daily basis, and it was NOT encouraging. Imagine doing that for TEN years ! ! When they don't pick up the phone, I leave a message. Simple as that. I get an answer on my machine or Email, usualy.

Lastly, BME is a "small business", and I do mean SMALL. They have a great product that is currently the cutting edge in its market, but that does not mean that they will ever satisfy everyone. Keith knows people are frustrated and impatient .. calling him up and telling him about it doesn't help much. Put yourself in his shoes . . .he got what he wished for. . now the world wants it and he can't deliver fast enough. Personally, I'm surprised he puts up with as much as he does, but he has a lot more patience than I do. . .
Old 01-08-2004, 08:48 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Kris you seem to say alot defending BME>, all we are stating or speculating is that no need to cry wolf early, and I quote "They have a great product that is currently the cutting edge in its market, but that does not mean that they will ever satisfy everyone." this is true but taking orders and over a year later no product, well that says a alot about the company, and you keep saying that the company is small, well that doesn't have anything to do with being over a year late, it doesn't matter if you have 1 employee or a 1000 a company should not talk about something that they are not sure about. I know everyone makes small mistakes, but over a years worth [sm=thumbdown.gif]
Old 01-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Kris^
Banned

All Right, Jongurly. . YOU go down, buy the company, and fix it. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.