Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

No cheater hole for a Byron Mig15??? Will it work?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

No cheater hole for a Byron Mig15??? Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 12:38 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No cheater hole for a Byron Mig15??? Will it work?

I am building a Byron Mig 15 and will be using the Weston pipe on a Rossi 90. I was wandering if I can get enough air thru it ,thru the front inlet, to close up the cheater hole. With the big long muffler setup gone it opens up the fuse a lot. Also have a Hurricane fan I could use if needed. Have 2 12 oz. saddle tanks mounted to the sides and will use the new fuel regulator from Iron Bay so no header tank or anything is needed to clutter up any more space.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:28 PM
GrayUK

Default RE: No cheater hole for a Byron Mig15??? Will it work?

[sm=drowning.gif] The old Byron system using a pusher was not very efficient, combined with this you needed the cheater hole to get enogh air in to feed and cool engine. I would advice fitting a Tractor unit such as the Ramtec or Dynamax, then you can close up the cheater hole. you would need to put a tailpipe into the fuselage. Also remember that everything in the airflow is drag, so keep intake clean an un obstructed.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Try it and see if it works, all you'll loose is you will have to open it up again. We use the Byron Set up in both the Topgun F-15 and Mig-29 with NO cheater hole.[8D]
Old 10-31-2003, 10:26 PM
dribbe

I suspect you will have very poor performance and possibly cooling if you use a 'stock' byron mig with no cheater hole, and a byron fan.

That setup needs the cheater hole for acceptable performance.

If you want to get into full re-engineering, that is a different story. I have seen a byron mig with a custom inlet, and a full viojett setup (no cheater whole), It worked VERY well.

The byron fan needs a LOT of intake area.... hence... cheaterhole on most scale aircraft. I reccomend you enjoy it stock, with the cheater hole.

David