Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage 25 motor sounds like glass????

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Traely

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 25 motor sounds like glass????

Ok so My other friend bought a savage 25 and I went over there and did the backplate fix and made sure verything was 100% go....

Cranking the engine using adrillwas aping Not enough rpms.. It did crank though but when the engine died it sounded like glass breaking?????

clink clank....

Is this the sound of the rotex drive??? I have never in all my years heard a engine sound like that...

I also made my decision.. MGT... the savage is just to much work to get to anything compared to MGT..
Old 11-04-2003, 01:47 AM
Natedog

Default RE: Savage 25 motor sounds like glass????

are ya sure that the backplate was re-installed with the piston skirt cut-outs up? ie. so there is no piston interference.

Oh, could also be detonation...you did remember to re-install the head shim(s) didn't ya? Excessive compression and/or too hot a glowplug can cause detonation just like in a real car engine when the fuel air mixture ignites too early.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:48 AM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be the sound of the starter shaft pin&spring engaging and dis-engaging whilst boucing of the compression... I have a few motors that do that...its because of the high compression....does sound flash...but its fine.

Is that the problem??...or did you say it dies whilse running....and maybe won`t restart ? Does it run ? sound ok ? power ?, if it just makes that noise whilst you pull the cord or electric start it and otherwise runs fine, its ok !.. its just the noise you get with some PS/elec starting systems.
Did it not do it to begin with ?..and then started ?
Pull it down and inspect it maybe ?
TM
Old 11-04-2003, 08:24 AM
KomPleat

My friends Savage 25 sounded like that also, not sure why. We didn't know about the back plate fix though and the pin came loose after awhile, thank god the engine wasn't running at the time (we were starting it).
Old 11-04-2003, 09:01 AM
ShOzz

you did check that the pin had not fallen out?

that pin is small enough it could rattle around loose in there and cause some serious damage.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Traely

It only does this when its starting just a little bit or when the engine dies out.

I reinstalled the backplate exactly as it came off. And there was othing that could fall into the engine as the engine was never open.

We put a hotter plug on it maybe thats it Ill try a diffrent one tonight.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Traely

What pin are yall talking about???
Old 11-04-2003, 12:52 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha,and what backplate fix....I missed that.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Traely

Just go to hpi site and click forum.. It tells you there they forgot to putthreadlock on the back plate..
Old 11-04-2003, 12:56 PM
KomPleat

There is a little pin that catches only when using the starter (I think), so the starter can turn over the engine. Pretty sure its on a spring. On my buddies it fell out twice durring starting. We didn't use lock tite those times (bad). If the pin falls out and the engine is running, I imagine the engine would be toast in no time.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Creeture

The sound you are hearing is normal. It is the sound of the starter pin bouncing off of the starter shaft (parts 1433 and 1432 if you have the engine manual). When the engine dies, the starter shaft is still spinning (due to the friction of the 1-way bearing), but due to the amount of compression in a new engine, the thing really smacks the living $4!7 out of the pin. Sounds a little like breaking glass (more like two hammers hitting to me). As the engine gets more broken in, it'll make less noise, but by then you'll be used to it. Just don't let the engine die and you'll never hear it.