Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Trim wheels and brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Trim wheels and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:51 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trim wheels and brakes

Hey all, i am getting ready to taxi my panther for a amiden and have a question. the trim proportional brakes seem not too proportional at all, either on or off. Now i think i recall using white grease on the hub to make them propo, does this work? Helps appreciated. Nick
Old 11-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trim wheels and brakes

What I have found with my trim valve is that it takes a fair amount of movement to get it to start to work. Then very little movement to go from zero to full (it is propotional). To release it must go almost all the way off. I ended up using it as an on/off. It works OK becasue they do not go to full lock up.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I program a curve into my Profi 4000 to get a rather proportional response from the Trim valve. Works fine for me.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woketman,

Have you purchased any of the Trim valves lately??? All of the new ones we recently got (three) were no good. I set them up as instructed. I moved the servo one click at a time----The valve would go from off to full on in one click!!! We are talking only a mm or so of travel to go from off to full on.[:@] I've gone back to the UP-6 valves....FLAWLESS!!! Kevin and Ed at Great Northern Models have let Trim know about this problem and I guess it has fallen on deaf ears. I do really like Trim's wheels and brakes though---If I could only get Trim to send the replacement tires I've had on order for eight weeks....[&o]

Kevin
Old 11-06-2003, 06:30 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Kevin Greene

Woketman,

Have you purchased any of the Trim valves lately??? All of the new ones we recently got (three) were no good. I set them up as instructed. I moved the servo one click at a time----The valve would go from off to full on in one click!!! We are talking only a mm or so of travel to go from off to full on.[:@] I've gone back to the UP-6 valves....FLAWLESS!!! Kevin and Ed at Great Northern Models have let Trim know about this problem and I guess it has fallen on deaf ears. I do really like Trim's wheels and brakes though---If I could only get Trim to send the replacement tires I've had on order for eight weeks....[&o]

Kevin

Kevin

I agree with you that Ed & Kevin are the best guys to deal with. Unfortunately, they represent a manufacturer (Trim) that seems not to take their business seriously. I was hoping to replace a wheel that I messed up but as usual, they do not have anything in stock.

BTW, could somebody tell me where I could purchase the O-ring for the 3in. wheels/breaks?

Regards

Ben
Old 11-08-2003, 07:18 PM
viper1

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

Kevin

I agree with you that Ed & Kevin are the best guys to deal with. Unfortunately, they represent a manufacturer (Trim) that seems not to take their business seriously. I was hoping to replace a wheel that I messed up but as usual, they do not have anything in stock.

BTW, could somebody tell me where I could purchase the O-ring for the 3in. wheels/breaks?

Regards

Ben
There we go again,
Cheap (easy) manufacturer bashing.. "seems not to take their business seriously", did you get your info straight from the source, or from the people who hit your credit card and then fail to pay the manufacturer, You guys believe everything you want to hear.
For what it's worth, I visit Trim every week, and the wheels & brakes (and parts) are in stock literally up to the ceiling.

Oh, sorry, I see you are a "moderator"....... The truth probably will get "nuked"......
Old 11-08-2003, 08:22 PM
ghost_rider

ORIGINAL: viper1

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

Kevin

Regards

Ben
There we go again,
Cheap (easy) manufacturer bashing.. "seems not to take their business seriously", did you get your info straight from the source, or from the people who hit your credit card and then fail to pay the manufacturer, You guys believe everything you want to hear.
For what it's worth, I visit Trim every week, and the wheels & brakes (and parts) are in stock literally up to the ceiling.

Oh, sorry, I see you are a "moderator"....... The truth probably will get "nuked"......
viper1

Let your heart not be troubled because your post would not be deleted. You are entitled to your post just like I was entitled to express a factual fact in my post.

FWIW, I currently own 5 sets of TRIM break system. All my attempts to procure new ones lately were unsuccessful. You could verify my statement with Ed & Kevin at Great Northern who happens to be my main TRIM distributor. I am not the only person waiting for the arrival of TRIM break system here un USA. Get to think about it, I was among the first few guys that started purchasing TRIM breaks when Mike L use to sell them. In consideration with the forgoing, I do not consider my statement manufacturer bashing.

BTW, what are you trying to insinuate by the following statement: “the people who hit your credit card and then fail to pay the manufacturerâ€. Since you are in the know, could you kindly enlighten us?

Regards

Ben
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed above are my own humble opinion and not that of RCU)
Old 11-08-2003, 08:32 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer part of the original question, put the LUBE IN!! You have to have it, and it will make them more proportional. I don't think proportional is even possible without lube.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:55 PM
rcav8tr

Hi Everyone

I have to appologize for not jumping into this thread earlier, but the last few days have been hectic at work. I'd like to address some of the points raised.

1) We have informed Trim of the sensitivity of the valve. They have modified one of the internal springs to increase the operating range of the valve, but we do not believe that this change is sufficient to satisfy the North American market. We have been working on our own solution to the issue and hope to have it implemented by the end of this coming week.

2) Kevin and Ben, please check your PMs.

3) Viper1, let's set the record straight.

a) "from the people who hit your credit card and then fail to pay the manufacturer" Before you make such statements on an open forum, I suggest you get your facts correct. We prepay for all our Trim shipments unless otherwise agreed. We do not bill our customers before their items are shipped to them. It is true that we had a small amount owing to Trim, but that debt had agreed upon repayment terms and is now no more.

b) It may be true that "the wheels & brakes (and parts) are in stock literally up to the ceiling", but is a little difficult for us to order parts from them when they are not in(16 hour time difference) or don't reply to e-mails. This was especially true over the summer when Tony was ill. Those issues have resolved themselves and orders are now flowing to us.

c)I will check with Tony and Marie tomorrow and ask them about your "weekly visits".

4) In all fairness to Trim, they do take their business seriously. Unfortunately, when circumstances beyond their control prevent them from responding to customer issues in a timely manner, it gives the appearance of disinterest in customer satisfaction. If we had felt that they were truely disinterested, we would have dropped their products months ago. But we stuck with them on the anticipation that the problems would be overcome and they would move forward. They are moving forward and we are going to continue to move forward with them.

I hope that this clarifies the issues raised.

Respectfully,
Ed
Old 11-08-2003, 09:45 PM
ghost_rider

Ed

Your honesty speaks for itself. The same applies to Kevin. Two of you are complete gentlemen.

Regards

Ben
Old 11-08-2003, 11:22 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Ben,
I have a set of O rings, part #ORINGBRAKE83 for the 83mm brake hubs (I believe they are the 3 1/4 wheel on my Reaper but they may be the same).

You can have them if you need them, as they arent needed here untill next spring (our flying season is shot, below 0 degrees now and snowing).

Let me know if they will work for you...

Andrew Coholic
[email protected]
Old 11-08-2003, 11:43 PM
NickC5FE

thankks guys. ed or kevin, anyway i can get one of those "fixes" for the valve? i have had it for six or so months now, never flown and have not been able to get it right with programmiing or lube! i love the set, but theyre just really finicky! thanks nick
Old 11-09-2003, 12:57 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Kevin, sorry it took me so long to reply. No, I have not purchased any Trim stuff lately, mine are all at least a year old, but work great. I did not realize that anything had changed.

Ben, I have a gazillion O-rings for the hub size that I have. You are welcome to some if you need them.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:44 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pantherflyr,

I purchased a set of Trim Wheels and Brakes (notice the spelling ghost_rider) about a year ago. The instructions give specific guidance regarding setting up the brakes for a JR 10X. I am using a Futaba 9Z. During the setup, I just could not get the the things to work very proportionally, they either dragged a bit or locked up. I just figured that my rigging was wrong. I flew like this for a few flights until one of the wheel bushings just about locked-up due to lack of lubrication. The guys at the SVF field suggested white lithium grease for the bushing. I went to the auto parts store and bought a lifetime supply for a couple bucks. I lubed the bushings and the o-rings and Eureka! proportional braking!!! With the current set-up, I get "parking brake" with a blip of down elevator, brake release with up elevator and proportional braking with continuous down elevator. I found it difficult to check to valve set-up on the bench, I litterally had to make an adjustment and then push the airplane down the driveway to see how it worked. What may seem like a locked wheel on the bench may be just right when 18 pounds is pushing it.

Last Thursday at the field, I noticed that the brakes are starting to grab a bit. I guess that it is time to do some maintenance.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 11-09-2003, 02:50 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Viper 1,

If you really have the "inside connection" with Trim then put a little bug in their ear and ask them to keep the guys in North America adequately supplied. Trim has good products---I've spent a lot of money with them. But, it is really aggravating to have to shelve an airplane for months waiting on parts. I shouldn't have to order two of everything to keep flying. Trim would sell a lot more if the chain of supply is kept up........Where in left field did you come up with this credit card mumbo-jumbo????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the lube...I lube all of my brakes using clear Dielectric Silicone grease. It looks like Vaseline but is much better. You only need a very small wipe with this stuff. No matter what proportional valve I've used I always lube the brakes. The brakes work much smoother with the lube.

The latest Trim valves just seem to not have much proportional value....Mine have been either on or off. My older valve works great!!! Lubing the brakes does help but doesn't really solve the problem. Using enough lube you can get "proportional" brakes from a simple Clippard on/off valve and an inline restrictor. We used to do this with ducted fans years ago before proportional valves were on the market. The trade off with just adding lube until the brakes slip is that, in my experiences, the brakes are not strong enough to hold the jet still when the turbine is run up on takeoff. You also can't set the brakes to just slightly drag in the air so that you can get easily stopped on a short field. You really need a true proportional valve to do this.

Ed and Kevin....My hat is off to both of you guys for the fine jobs both of you have done for our hobby. With your know how I'm sure you guys will get the valve issue straightened out. [8D]

Kevin
Old 11-09-2003, 10:12 AM
viper1

Ben,

No troubled hearts at all, but on another occasion before when I defended Trimair because lies where spread, my post, and in fact the whole thread was deleted, because my facts & proof made trash of that moderator's lies & rumours that he was trying to launch. So the only option -he must have thought- was deleting the thread

I will kindly enlighten you on my "insinuations", there are some distributors, hobby shop owners and dealers, who follow the policy of hitting credit cards from customers , then fail to pay the manufacturer who got the stuff ready & packed to go, and stall the customer with "low stock", "shipping delays" and other Bull***, and so passing the bucket to the manufacturers. This practise also (NO ,not only) happens with US dealers or distributors.

If you say Tony doesn't seem to take his business seriously, and "as usual" doesn't have "anything" in stock that pissed me off, and that IS cheap bashing, as you can't know unless you deal direct with them. He doesn't take his business serious, it's his life.

ED,

For the record, I made that statement in reaction to Ben's words because they sound familiar to me, (see "passing the bucket" above) so I asked if he was one of these victims.
I never insinuated or pointed in the direction of Great Northern Models or made believe this is the way GNM acts as far as I can recall ,
In contrary, You guys stretched yourself for me recently and did very good work. (Facet ring-a-bell?)
Got no idea why you feel you have to defend yourself.

Yes, you can check with Tony and Marie tomorrow about my visits (and vice versa), my name is Gert.

Thanks for your supportive remarks in the end.

Regards ,
GJ
Old 11-09-2003, 03:17 PM
ghost_rider

Viper1 aka Gert.

You made insulting remarks about Great Northern models and you are not man enough to apologize. Instead, you continue feeding us with your flimsy and lame excuses / cork and bull stories.

Go back to the posts that reference Trim and notice that they all mentioned Great Northern.

FWIW, I could not recall any of your post defending Trim that was deleted. If one was deleted, I did not delete it.

FYI, Kevin & Ed are my good friends.

Regards

Ben

(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed above are my own humble opinion and not that of RCU)
Old 11-09-2003, 05:44 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Adding fuel to the Trim fire, I have a set of Trim wheels and brakes ( 3 inch ) that fit my SJ F-16. After at least 4 or 5 emails between myself and Ed, I still haven't got a solution to the problem of the tires spinning on the hubs. These were brand new wheels and brakes that didn't work from the git-go. Ed had a conversation with Trim wherein my wheels were supposed to be replaced and I was to return the faulty ones to Ed. Well, that was over a month ago and Ed hasn't returned my emails and Trim hasn't shipped any replacement wheels. So, would I, at this point, buy Trim products? Absolutely not!
Ben, you can choose to delete this posting if you don't like its content; however, Ed can verify everything I've stated above, including his lack of response to me. I've watched these posts regarding Trim and decided I could no longer remain silent about Trim's total lack of customer service. In my opinion, based on lousy service all around, Trim has a serious problem up and down the chain.
Regards,
Rob
Old 11-09-2003, 07:25 PM
NickC5FE

cactus flyer, your post has been most helpful especially out of all the pising contest my post has turned out to be. I got whit grease (aerosol type) and sprayed some down inside the hub and it seems to be ok. i only got the aerosol kind b/c they were out of the thick stuff. would neosporin work, just wondering. Thanks nick, oh and to all who care.....the few times i have talked to ed, he seems like a nice guy and always willing to help answer questions. nick
Old 11-10-2003, 12:17 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, What are neighbors for?

'Hope to see you at the field,

John
Old 11-10-2003, 10:57 AM
rcav8tr

Hi Rob

I apologize for my lack of response on your problem. There is no excuse for it.

I have been talking to Trim and they were sure your replacements had been sent, they were going back to check, but they haven't given me an answer yet. In the meantime, I will double check what wheels we received last week are spares and get a set to you.

Sincerely,
Ed

ORIGINAL: F15driver

Adding fuel to the Trim fire, I have a set of Trim wheels and brakes ( 3 inch ) that fit my SJ F-16. After at least 4 or 5 emails between myself and Ed, I still haven't got a solution to the problem of the tires spinning on the hubs. These were brand new wheels and brakes that didn't work from the git-go. Ed had a conversation with Trim wherein my wheels were supposed to be replaced and I was to return the faulty ones to Ed. Well, that was over a month ago and Ed hasn't returned my emails and Trim hasn't shipped any replacement wheels. So, would I, at this point, buy Trim products? Absolutely not!
Ben, you can choose to delete this posting if you don't like its content; however, Ed can verify everything I've stated above, including his lack of response to me. I've watched these posts regarding Trim and decided I could no longer remain silent about Trim's total lack of customer service. In my opinion, based on lousy service all around, Trim has a serious problem up and down the chain.
Regards,
Rob
Old 11-10-2003, 11:10 AM
rcav8tr

Hi GJ

If I misinterpreted your comments, I appologize. I realized who you were after I put the post up, and I know you are familiar with what we do.

Sincerely,
Ed
ORIGINAL: viper1

For the record, I made that statement in reaction to Ben's words because they sound familiar to me, (see "passing the bucket" above) so I asked if he was one of these victims.
I never insinuated or pointed in the direction of Great Northern Models or made believe this is the way GNM acts as far as I can recall ,
In contrary, You guys stretched yourself for me recently and did very good work. (Facet ring-a-bell?)
Got no idea why you feel you have to defend yourself.

Regards ,
GJ
Old 11-11-2003, 07:42 AM
viper1

Dear Ed,

No need to apologise, maybe I should have been clearer in the first place.
I'll reply on the email later, I'm a bit short on time now.

Regards,
Gert.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:05 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Ed,
Thanks for your response and for following up with Trim. As you probably detected from my thread, I'm frustated with no solution to an 8 week old problem. You have been forthright and responsive after my post and I much appreciate it. I know that my thread leaked of frustration and for that I am sorry and I apologize to you.
I would sincerely like to go forward with both you, your company and Trim in a better way.
Best regards,
Rob
Old 11-11-2003, 09:37 PM
rcav8tr

Rob

No need to apologize. You have every right to be frustrated. I'm doing what I can to alleviate the problem. I may have an interim solution for you and a couple of others tonight. Just trying to make sure I don't short anyone else in the process.

Ed

ORIGINAL: F15driver

Ed,
Thanks for your response and for following up with Trim. As you probably detected from my thread, I'm frustated with no solution to an 8 week old problem. You have been forthright and responsive after my post and I much appreciate it. I know that my thread leaked of frustration and for that I am sorry and I apologize to you.
I would sincerely like to go forward with both you, your company and Trim in a better way.
Best regards,
Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.