Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

solortex covering help

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

solortex covering help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:35 PM
p-47 razorback pilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solortex covering help

how do i apply solortex fabric ? im restoring an old plane and want to use fabric.... any help?
Old 11-11-2003, 09:48 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: solortex covering help

Hey there P-47--I use Solartex fabric exclusively and love it. The first thing you need to do is get some Balsarite or Sig Stix-It. Thin eiher of these about 15% with acetone or mek. (Balsarite and Stix-It are essentially the same product--I use them interchangably)
Brush a single coat over your framework--it will appear kinda thick and spotty after application but don't worry about it-it is heat activated and will flow out evenly under your covering when you iron it or use your heatgun. Let your Balsarite dry 45 minutes or so and you are ready to cover. Use the technique described in the Solartes instructions and you will enjoy it. Please read the thread I put under Kit building catagory titled tips for working with balsa sheeting and have fun. Besides ease of use the best thing I like about solartex fabric is that I can paint it to allow the fabric weave show through or I can come back with a clearcote and you swear it is plastic!!
Old 11-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Solartex is also my favorite covering material for large planes. I rarely if ever use the BalsaRite or Stix it, not necessary in most cases as the self adhesive is quite good. I think it is much better than monokote or ultracote and goes around compound curves so much better than any of the films.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also takes the summer heat better than the mylar's. I use only white, paint it with rustoleum, and sometimes clear coat with luster coat satin. I dont use the paint on prep to help it stick, seems to work fine like it is. You DO have to make sure you clean your plane after flying so the grim doesnt make a permenent mark. I have noticed that using too much heat with the iron when applying will give you problems sticking. Had to replace a few pieces when I noticed the dial had moved on my iron. DOH!!! If I need to reshrink the solartex after its been painted I use a white T-shirt scrap between the iron and the solartex. The T-shirt scrap needs to stay still while you work the iron.
Edwin
Old 11-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SolarTex is MUCH easier to use than "MoneyKote" and substantially lighter (and thinner, but not weaker) than Coverite. You should not need to use any additional adhesive with it. The only places I use Stix-It is around cut outs, such as windows.