Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Using contact cement to apply sheeting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Using contact cement to apply sheeting

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 02:06 AM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using contact cement to apply sheeting

Credit for this technique goes to C. Douglas Lee (D&L Designs-Tuscon Az) who taught it to me.

Contact cement has a bad rapp and can be quite usefull to apply sheeting--especially 1/32 plywood turtledecks.

Here is the technique and it's advantages. First off you want to prefit your balsa or ply sheeting. I usually put a mark lining up with the right and left ends of the framework. Next apply contact cement to the framework with a acid brush (also know as epoxy brush).
Next I coat the bottom side of the sheeting and IMMEDIATELY apply it to the framework. With the framework cured and the sheeting side fresh you can actually move the sheeting a little to line it up perfectly. Press it down and presto.IF any gaps develope, no problem come back later to press it down and it sticks like magic. I have had panels set before I am ready and all it takes is a little shot of acetone or MEK ( methyl ethyl ketone) and the adhesive releases pronto--let's see you do that with ca!!

Now the really neat part is if you have any glue on your exposed surfaces wipe with a rag dampened with acetone or mek and you have a beautiful job, much easier to prepair for your chosen finish. This technique works especially well with plywood sheeting. as we all know ca's are pretty slow with plywoods and sanding ca gobs off 1/32 plywood can be dicey at best.

I actually use this technique with all my main balsa wing and fuse sheeting and ALL plywood sheeting. I still use ca to glue in the center and end sheets as well as cap strips.

The product is DAP Weldwood Contact Cement available nationwide at paint and hardware stores.

This is one of those techniques that when I first heard about it I thought "yeah right" But Doug convinced me to try it and I'm hooked!!
Try it -- you'll like it and I promise not to post anymore tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!