Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Edge 540T .40 size **New pixs and info**

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Edge 540T .40 size **New pixs and info**

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 08:22 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Edge 540T .40 size **New pixs and info**

Hello all! I am proud to announce that I just received my Aeroworks Edge 540 .40 size plane! I absolutely love it! They did a wonderful job crating it and there is great workmanship there. I've included some pixs, but they do NOT do this plane justice! I cannot wait to get this thing airborne! I'd highly recommend this airplane.
Clint
Old 11-13-2003, 08:29 PM
flytheedge

Default RE: New Edge 540T .40 size

pixs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79900.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	74566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33889.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	74567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89751.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	74568  
Old 11-13-2003, 08:31 PM
flytheedge

manual - great descriptions, LOTS of pixs, can't screw this up.

Name:	Db85735.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	74569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72584.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	74570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80691.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	74571  
Old 11-19-2003, 10:13 AM
icewater
My Feedback: (1)

Clint,
Please let me (us) know how this thing goes together and how it flies. I am very strongly considering one myself. Please give us the real deal. Not he watered down RCU or Model Airplane News version. Or if anyone else has one, LET US KNOW!
Thanks
Don
Old 11-23-2003, 12:52 AM
flytheedge

Don, the plane goes together very well. They included a transparent cowl that fits over the "good" cowl. I've never made such a good cowl before! That really helps. Rocco has been a great guy to deal with and he is still aiding me. I have found out from Rocco that the distance from the front of the firewall to the cowl should be 4 3/4 inches. The decals really add a lot of awe-ing detail to the plane. It looks very good. I've installed the OS .50 SX engine on it. I believe that the .50 SX engine will be absolutely perfect for this airplane. I have not had the chance to fly it yet here in Hays, KS. I will be sure to include some more pictures of it soon..... Thanks and have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.
Clint
Old 11-23-2003, 01:30 AM
flytheedge

Guys, I really think that this plane is of very good quality, probably the best. (my opinion) The cowl and wheelpants are made of VERY durable fiberglass and are painted. The paint is rugged and does not chip off easily like VMAR, or any other cheap company. The cowl does not splinter and is very easy to dremel the holes for our engines. Notice, that the cowl hides the .50 SX engine very well. I have about a 1/2 inche from the cylinder head to the cowl. I did have to cut a hole in the bottom of the cowl for the std. muffler and so I just made it larger for more heat to escape. I think a pitts muffler would look even better and more professional, but is not required. I decided to take advantage of my stock muffler because there's a notch in the bottom of the fuselage for it.

I did have little wrinkles in the ultra cote and I shrunk it with my heat gun. Works perfect. The wrinkles come out a lot easier than monokote allows. What a beautifully built and crafted plane, probably the nicest one I have.

As far as radio equipment, I chose five Hitec 425 BB servos with Airtronics 927777 receiver and I have yet to choose a battery pack. I'll probably do a 4.8 volt 1200 mah battery.
Thanks.
Clint

Name:	Ay74526.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	76788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62420.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	76789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58606.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	76790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82058.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	76791  
Old 11-23-2003, 01:34 AM
flytheedge

Here's some more pixs of the PERFECT Edge 540T.

Since our field is not AMA sanctioned, I chose to take out the baffler in the stock muffler. This will reduce excess heat, but is not enough to damage the engine. It will also provide, hopefully an extra 300 to 500 rpm increase. Thanks.
Clint

Name:	Xv64696.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	76792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93073.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	76793  
Old 11-26-2003, 06:24 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

I have the AW edge as well, I am not as impressed with it as I am my Pacific 40 size Edge. I have not flown the AW yet but have the Pacific. Did anyone else notice how small the elevator and horizontal surfaces are on the AW? They are itty bitty compared to the Pac.

I like Pacifics plug in wings, dual elevator servos in the tail, and the pull pull rudder just to name a few quick items.....
Old 11-26-2003, 06:37 PM
ShoestringRacer

Hey nice pics Extra 230. I am still waiting on mine from Chief Aircraft. Should be here soon. I can't tell from your pics, but you may want to put some screws or canopy glue on the front of the canopy. If air gets in there at the seam it will blow that canopy right off. I learned that lesson the hard way...

Be sure to give us the no-spin flight report when you fly it.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:52 PM
flytheedge

Thanks for the advice. I did glue it down and screwed it down with the supplied screws and grommets. Very nice kit. I can't speak for the Pacific models, but I absolutely love this plane. I have a close friend that has given me the privlidge of flying his larger 33% and those fly absolutely unbelievable! I can't wait to get this one up. Should be very fun. I finally got my radio programmed. Now I just have to mount the battery and receiver after I cg it. Thanks.
Clint
Old 12-04-2003, 05:20 PM
flytheedge

Hey Guys. This thing needs noseweight. I have an Ace 6.0 volt 1400 mah battery up in the nose below the fuel tank and still might need a little. It won't be too much though. I did run the new OS .50 SX engine and this thing is VERY powerful. I absolutely love it. Runs absolutely perfect. Transition is great. If you guys have the money to install the OS .70 Surpass engine, I'd definitley do it. Thanks all.
Clint
Old 12-04-2003, 05:26 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Sounds like a Saito 91 4-stroke will be the ultimate setup...only a few ounces heavier than an O.S. 46 FX!
Old 12-06-2003, 04:21 PM
flytheedge

I don't know how much stress a Saito .91 would put on the airplane. There's not much support in the fuselage and it's quite lite. I was thinking of an OS .70 Surpass 4-stroke engine might be the way to go. I have no idea. It's a good sized airplane. Maybe it would be okay. I just think it might be too much power for it. I won't know until I fly this thing. Have a wonderful Holiday Season everybody.
Clint
Old 12-06-2003, 08:57 PM
rcsting

Has anyone had the chance to fly their Aero Works 540??? I'm interested in buying 1 but wanting to know how they fly before I make my choice.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2003, 12:35 AM
flytheedge

That's a good plan. I FINALLY have mine ready to fly! Man, it's about time. I had to add about three ounces of lead to the nose with the Ace 6.0 volt 1400 mah battery right behind the firewall, under the fuel tank and with the OS .50 SX on the nose. I haven't had the chance to fly mine yet, but I'd probably recommend a .70 4-stroke engine for this baby.

One thing I modified on mine, the receiver is supposed to go right behind the fuel tank and in front of the "battery bed" with all the holes in it. I still put mine there but there isn't anything to support your receiver if you crash it. I epoxied a 1/8" plywood "bed" to the top of the balsa brace and to the back end of the landing gear block. I then drilled (2) 1/4" holes in the 1/4" plywood piece directly behind the tank and used plastic ties to keep the receiver from bouncing around. I think the wing is meant to hold down the receiver in that location because there's not a whole bunch of clearance right there at that point. I also soaked all the triangle stock that I had easy access to with thin ca for extra gluing bondage.

Currently, I am going to run a wide plade prop 13x4 prop; this is also the prop that I used to run in the .50SX engine. Worked fine. It's late right now, but tomorrow I'll see about weighing the model (dry). I don't think I'm going to be able to fly mine this year. It's supposed to snow on Tuesday and Monday is supposed to be cloudy and windy. So I think I'm finished. The cold weather will be moving in and I won't be able to fly. So if anyone else has any information on this model, please add it. I'd like to know how it flies.

There is one mistake and I have confirmed this with Rocco at Aeroworks. The recommended control throws are way off as stated in the manual for normal flying. I will check out what I set mine at, which they recommended. I am also going to confirm the correct c.g. location and make sure that that is in the right spot. I'll continue giving further help and support on this model. Aeroworks has done a great job with this kit, but there are a few minor defects in the manual. Clearer, and colored pixs would be something that I would change. Thanks everyone.
Clint
Old 12-09-2003, 05:52 PM
kepople

My kit included the manual with the black and white photos plus a single 2 sided color sheet with some closeup detail photos.

I have not touched mine in a couple weeks and it will sit a little longer I am afraid.

Kirby
Old 01-02-2004, 08:45 PM
flytheedge

Well, I finally got to fly my Edge today. It was mostly on the cloudy side so I didn't take aerobatics to any extreme.

Takeoff:
The plane tracks right down the runway with very little rudder correction. The plane needed a about three clicks of up trim and about three clicks of right aileron trim and she was set. Very nice flying plane. I have flown a friend's 33% Aeroworks Edge 540 or about that size or something and I can tell you that this plane flys exactly like it's larger sisters do. I have mine set up with 55% expo on the ailerons, elevator, and rudder. The rudder is VERY sensitive and the ground handling is simply awesome! I can do TIGHT 360s on the ground and power it up to full throttle and away she goes!

Landing:
The plane floats like a Cub. Before I attempted a landing, I got it up high to see what the stall was like. I throttled back and gradually fed in up elevator. The nose just seemed to drop. It was in the clouds, so if a wing dipped, I didn't notice it. But I'm about 95% sure that just the nose of it droppped slightly. Add full throttle and it's back on her feet ready to haul! Now, I was flying my 4-star .40 before this one and I had a lot of trouble getting this one to land on the grass runway without jumping up in the air. With this plane, I landed it on all three wheels the very first attempt without making any low passes. I would not recommend trying to test the strength of the fuselage because this is built very lite and therefore, there is not much wood in the fuselage to hold it together. I would recommend an aerobatic plane that is built in wood throughout the fuse and get good at that one first, then try this one to avoid any crashes.

Aerobatics:
Rolls were perfectly axial on low rates and I imagine that rolls would be very quick on high rates! I did a few loops and it tracked perfectly through the maneuver. I didn't try any knife edges, snaps, or anything with it. Like I said, it was cloudy and it was my first time up with it and I didn't want to lose my orientation with it. I'm sure that with the rudder being so controlling, knife edge would be a breeze, but I can't say for sure.

All in all, the plane looks extremely beautiful and the supplied parts are of the highest quality. I accidently drilled a hole through my aileron control horn that was supplied with the plane. I emailed Rocco about it. He asked me to call him. I did and in two days I had them in my hand already. He's a wonderful man and strives to make the customer happy. I'm very pleased with this plane. Furthermore, it got A LOT of looks and ews and awes at the field. The guys just went nuts over it.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

It's no wonder you like it.
It was made by World Models, for sure.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:58 PM
flytheedge

Yep. That's what Jerry said. He could tell just by comparing the Aeroworks Edge 540 .60/.90 Edge to this airplanes manual. It is in fact World Models who produced this airplane.

I weighed mine today on the bathroom scale. I know that way is not real accurate, but mine came in right around 5-6 pounds. Thanks.
Clint
Old 01-03-2004, 10:27 AM
flytheedge

I do believe that a .91 4-stroke may be the way to go with this plane. Now, I didn't try any aerobatics with this thing, but the .91 4-stroke will definitely haul ass!!
Clint
Old 01-04-2004, 02:19 PM
kepople

COngrats on your sucess. If it flies like teh larger version, I saw Jason Shulman do so many rolls in a row I lost count but it was over 20. You could tell everytime he added down through the inverted phase as the nose pitched down that it really did not need much down...in either case the rolls were CRAZY fast.

Mine should be ready to fly this coming week I hope.

Kirby
Old 01-12-2004, 10:49 AM
RC Crasher

Default RE: New <span class=

I just installed a GMS .76 in mine last night. I have not measured the CG yet but it's real close. I have not finished cutting the cowl but it looks like it will not have to be cut for the engine, just the tip of the glow plug. Though I might cut it some for heat. I will have to cut a little more on the cowl to fit the muffler but it did fit in the fuselage cut out.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:52 AM
kepople

MIne is ready to fly. It is a little nose heavy, about 3/8" ahead of the 2.57" recommendation. I am trying to decide if it is too far forward before I maiden it.

Kirby
Old 01-13-2004, 08:57 AM
RC Crasher

Kepople....NOSE HEAVY! Your the first I have seen say that about this plane. What kind of engine did you use Briggs and Stratton. But really, I have read a lot of posts about this plane and they all say tail heavy, this is why I went with a heavy .76 ...... Good luck on you maiden.

Drew
Old 02-21-2004, 02:05 AM
Condor

So, what's the final verdict on control throws? Also, please help me understand the correct distance from engine thrust washer to firewall - am I correct in understanding there's a mistake in the manual?

I'll be setting mine up tomorrow so she's ready for maiden on Sunday.

Cheers,

Juan M. Villaveces

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.