Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

MT 12 engine break in during cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 06:45 PM
NitroNoob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT 12 engine break in during cold

This is my 5th R/C car, but my 1st Nitro, finally went to the dark side hehehe. Anyways I need help on breaking in my Mugen MT 12 engine. I tried the search function but couldn't really find the exact answers I'm looking for so.... Anyways here are my questions:

Is it all right to break in the engine during cold weather (5 Degrees Celcius here in Canada). Because I've read that with ABC type engines it needs to reach operating temperatures right away, not gradually. So how do I get the engine to reach hot temp right away during cold weather?

How do I set the needle screws on the Mugen MT 12. eg turn the needles all the way clockwise, then turn the screw counter clockwise 3 turns?

When I leave the car on idle during break in, do I have to tune the engine once it gets warm? Or it doesn't even matter as long as the engine isn't shutting off?

I don't have a temp gun so whats the best way to tell if the engine is running at proper temp or is over heating?

On cold weather do I need to lean it out more or do I keep it rich.

Thanks in advance for answering any of NOOB my questions.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

Default RE: MT 12 engine break in during cold

I was like you......I broke in my first nitro (NTC3) in this type of weather. Don't worry, no damage will be done. Just alittle advice, Get everything all set (like fill the tank, prime it ect.) in your house and then while your by your door...stick in your glow igniter and let it warm up for 5-10 seconds....then quickly run outside and try to start it.....If your out there for 5 minutes trying to start it....go back and let your engine warm up inside again. Its impossible to start a cold engine.

To set your needles, close them counterclockwise till it stops (DON"T OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREW!!!), then screw it clockwise the amount of times your manual says.

You can tune your engine whenever as long as its idling.....I would recommend running it abit and warming it up.

To tell the temperature of your engine, all you need is your mouth and car. Spit on the top of the engine head....if it boils away slowly....your engine is running at the proper temperature, if your spit explodes when it hits your engine or boils away really fast....then your engine is overheated.

In cold weather, do the exact same thing you would do in summer...ALWAYS follow your manuals instructions for breaking-in your engine.

And good luck with your car! Happy racing!
Old 11-17-2003, 07:40 PM
johnnyride

you can wrap tin foil around the cooling head to help maintain proper temp.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:27 AM
NitroNoob

Hey CanadianRacer I see you live in Mississauga too and drive a NTC3 just like me. Thanks for the advice guys, anyone else have anymore suggestions?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:02 PM
teamsquirreltail

The easiest way to tell if your getting enough fuel is there will be a thick exhaust trail. If you aren't getting an exhaust trail, you need to richen up the engine. Good luck
Old 11-18-2003, 02:41 PM
studysession

I have broken in a couple of engines in 30 degree weather - Also with rain. No big deal. Won't hurt the engine. Just need to keep electronic dry.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:53 PM
NitroNoob

Default RE: MT 12 <span class=

How thick of an exhaust trail? Does the exhaust trail have to be dark or something? Right now the exhaust trail is visable, is that good enough? Do I need to see fuel spitting out of the tip? Thanks