Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Newbie inquiring

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Newbie inquiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 04:50 PM
CenRacerToronto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie inquiring

Hey all,

Actually I've been to my local HS and asked them how difficult it is to fly and R/C heli, they tell me for the amount of time they had it getting it to hover was hard enough. I'm a very quick learner, I've used to Simulation games (which I know don't compare becuase you have to factor in wind and what not) but I picked up on that in a matter of minutes while my friends are still having trouble with it. So my question is how long did it take you guys to 'learn to hover' and possibly do a barrel roll/loop which I know are skilled tricks. Also would you recommend getting a mini piccolo or should I just go full size? thx
Old 11-19-2003, 05:02 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie inquiring

I learned to hover my fixed pitch piccolo in a few months of infrequent practice.
After I had the hover fairly steady, my brother wanted to learn. He spent 30 or so hours on the G2 simulator. He hovered his first flight with the piccolo.
So it is something you can do. A simulator with your transmitter as the control input helps a lot. The help of experienced pilots helps a lot.

Which model to get? You will get many different answers. Big ones are more stable. Little ones take more abuse (with less frequent repair costs in a crash)

My personal opinion is that the Piccolo (with Lithium Polymer batteries) is a good way to go. More important that model choice is your patience and persistance, and the help of other pilots.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:53 PM
smokingcrater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie inquiring

My personal opinion is that the Piccolo (with Lithium Polymer batteries) is a good way to go.
I second that! it all depends on what you want to fly though. do you want to fly outdoors? go for something bigger. indoor flying only or only occasionally outdoors in no wind, go micro...

one thing simulators don't simulate is the imperfections that are always present. unusual wind guts, problems in heli setups, and a heli that is now in true 3d in front of you vs a 2 d computer screen, not to mention the fear of hitting yourself/tv/pets/furniture!