Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Super Stick 40 owners and flyers needed!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Super Stick 40 owners and flyers needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 02:03 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Stick 40 owners and flyers needed!!!

Hello everyone, I have a Super Stick 40 that was given to me by an older club member. I have recovered it in monokote and strenghtened it up for more support. The manual says the CG is 1/8" behind main spar which is roughly 3 1/8" inch from the leading edge. I have read that this is INCORRECT. I have seen that 3/4" behind main spar is the correct spot to balance at.

3 1/8 is 29% if I calculated correctly.
3 3/4 is 35% if I calculated correctly.

3 1/8" (CG) / 10.62" (chord) * 100 = 29%
3 3/4" (CG) / 10.62" (chord) * 100 = 35%

What CG locations are you all putting your Super Sticks at?

Any response is greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
DTB
Old 11-22-2003, 01:53 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Super Stick 40 owners and flyers needed!!!

I have a Super Stick 60 and 1/8" behind the main spar is where I balanced mine. It flies great. Better than my Ultra Stick in fact.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:23 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: skorman

I have a Super Stick 60 and 1/8" behind the main spar is where I balanced mine. It flies great. Better than my Ultra Stick in fact.
Thanks skorman, I will start off at the 1/8" behind main spar as the instructions list. That is within the 25-30% range anyway.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2003, 02:33 AM
Ernie Misner

I lost my Super Stick 40 when someone broke into my truck. It was a great flying plane and had great penetration on windy days.

I agree that the manual is wrong..... way too noseheavy! I believe that 3/8 behind the spar worked good for me. There should be some very old threads on this.

Ernie
Old 11-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Ultra stick .40 manual on page 46, Section 17, states, that 3 1/2" to 4" aft of leading edge is where the C/G should be. Mine is on the aft end @ 4". Power is a K & B Twister .61 (Perry carb installed), Kleet tail wheel assy, rudder and elevator servo's mounted aft, and using a four servo wing. Du-Bro 12 oz. fuel tank mounted with out any modifications to the model. Airtronics 94102Z standard servo's all around and a 1200 ma. nicad is used.

Unlimited vertical and that K & B swings a 13 x 6 with authority. The best plane to fly in a wind...and we do get some winds here on Maui...It's truly amazing just how well this model flys in a wind. Solid as a rock in the air and all the way down to a stall...wind or no wind. With full span flaperons, in the down-full flap position, the aileron function is sluggish...the rudder works well here to help control the model. Seems to fly a bit tail low...at least my model does, in cruise flight, 3/4 power.

I love this model and I've about a couple dozen flights on her now. I'm going to install 4 1/2" Trexler tires as soon as they arrive in the mail, and I'm using 3 1/2" Do-Bro low bounce wheels now on the model now. With full span flaps in, I can take off in less then three feet...way less[8D][sm=thumbup.gif]...very cool.

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 11-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Bobby,

His question was about the balance point on the Super Stick 40, a different plane. Yes, they are both great planes! I think the Super Stick is even a better flier in the wind because of it's higher wing loading.

Ernie
Old 12-01-2003, 08:30 PM
DTB

I finally flew my Super Stick 40 last Saturday with the CG set at 3.25" behind the LE or 1/4" behind the main spar and the plane flys great. I have an OS .46FX up front with an APC 11x5 prop and this plane is very fast. I flew the plane with the stock muffler, but have a mousse can muffler I made that gives the motor an extra 1200 RPM, but have not flown with the muffler installed on this plane. I have the throws on the ailerons and elevator set to max for normal flight. The roll rate is very quick. Low rate was too sluggish for my taste. I was even able to hover the plane. Everyone was amazed at how fast this plane is. Vertical pull is very fast and strong. The plane has to land sort of fast. I have not gotten the flaps dialed in perfectly just yet, so I don't land with flaps just yet.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out...

Derrick (DTB)