Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Goo Gone before paint?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Goo Gone before paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 05:26 PM
SVX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goo Gone before paint?

Question, I laid my panel lines down with 1/32 inch chart tape and primed over it. Now as I am pulling up the tape there is a sticky residue left in the panel line. I have tried warming the tape but that just seems to increase the left over glue. What I really need to do is to rub the panel lines with Goo Gone but I am afraid of hurting the outcome of the paint if I apply it to the surface. Anyone know if I can do this?
Old 11-21-2003, 11:15 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Goo Gone before paint?

Dear SVX

I think you have the right idea but the wrong product.

I use a product that NAPA puts out called KLEANZ-EASY. You wipe down your primer or paint with it before painting or clearcoating.

All automotive paint lines have one of these cleaners (Ditzler,PPG,etc.) If you have a autobody or paint supply house nearby ask and I'm sure they will be able to help you out. They are intended to remove wax and oils remaining on your surface without harming the underlying paint.

I'm sure you don't want to do those panel lines again-- anyway I really think they would work for you .........Bob
Old 11-22-2003, 03:06 AM
SVX

Interesting, but will it get the gummy glue out? The reason why goo gone came to mind is that it really works. I tried straight alcohol and a toothbrush but it didn't come off. There is a NAPA right down the road, I'll have to get some to try it--it sounds like I should get it anyway[8D]
Old 11-23-2003, 09:52 PM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

I use goo gone without a problem. I have been using a two part primer with no effect on the paint. Goo gone removes some primer if you use lacquer base. I clean the goo gone area off with prepsol or alcohol and then paint.
Mike
Old 11-26-2003, 02:00 AM
Condor

I never thought of using goo-gone. I know that MEK works great, but it might affect the paint underneath if it's not fully cured or if it's dope, and it's not so widely available anymore. I use Brasso metal cleaner and an old toothbrush or an acid brush, and it works great: it dissolves the gum but doesn't affect the finish. When you are done, the plane looks awful, but a little wiping with a damp rag will get it back to it's former pretty self.

Hope this helps...

Juan M. Villaveces