Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Where to put fueler

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Where to put fueler

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:56 AM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to put fueler

After doing a bunch of searches here on RCU, it seems as though most people put their fuelers on the cowl of their planes. My question is how well does this hold up and wouldn't the fuse be a better location? Cowls do not seem to be solid enough for this. Thanks in advance....Dean
Old 11-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Where to put fueler

You can mount fueler on the cowl if you reinforce the mounting area with a piece of wood. You can also make a 90° metal bracket for the fueler and mount it to the front of the firewall. I normally mount light weight twist type fuel dots to the cowl since these fuel dots do not require pushing or pulling on the cowl:

Old 11-26-2003, 11:59 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" Fuel Dots" work well on cowls.
DuBro fuel fillers work great if you mount one on a "L" bracket on the edge of the firewall so it faces outward. Grind a nice round hole in the cowl for access.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:30 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

I am acutally planning on using the Excel by Slimline. They look a little stonger than many of the other brands.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Stick Jammer

I bought one of the Slimline Excel fuelers a few months back when they first came out. There were two problems with it. The connections are a little too big for standard fuel line, it'll fit, but they could have made them smaller. The worst problem is that the barbs are super sharp and due to the large diameter, they cut right thru the fuel line. I had to spend an hour with a nail file to take the edge off of them. Maybe they fixed this problem now, I haven't bought anymore.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:12 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have done it both ways. With fuel dots anyway.If your going to use a three line set up it is easyer to mount it in the fuse. If your going to use a T in the line the cowl mount works better. I Have not had any cowl problems from the dots.
David
Old 11-27-2003, 11:04 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

I have had good success with the Dubros Fuel Valves. I CA a thin piece of ply to the cowling in the spot where I want to mount the valve. Then use a dremal to cut out the hole. I try and mount the valve in a location where I can easily fit my fingers behind the cowling so I can hold the back of the valve when removing the filler cap. This keeps from adding too much pressure to the ply. I have never had one come lose or fail. Some guys don't like fuel valves, but I have had good success with them. Just make sure you get the appropriate valve for gas or glow. The gas valve is red in color and the glow valve has a silver finish.