Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Tuned cans or pipes worth the extra weight for 3d?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Tuned cans or pipes worth the extra weight for 3d?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 10:47 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned cans or pipes worth the extra weight for 3d?

I was wondering if the extra weight of a tuned can or pipe worth the extra rpm gained for 3D flight? Does it just balance out since you have more weight to carry?

Smokey
Old 12-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Tuned cans or pipes worth the extra weight for 3d?

I don't fly 3D but have watched many 3D flights. Most of the planes flying 3D have an excess of power as most of the 3D maneuvers are flown at reduced power. With the combination of light weight planes and high performance engines it seems to me that the extra 300 - 400 rpm (or more) that you get at full throttle would not be needed since I rarely see a 3D plane flown at full throttle.

I realize that I didn't answer your question but those are my thoughts.

Ken
Old 12-01-2003, 11:36 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I'm thinking along the lines of Big_Bird. Do you need the extra power? If you don't need it then I wouldn't spend the time and money retrofitting tuned pipes/cans to your plane. But, if you need that extra 500 rpm by all means go for it.

If your just asking a general question...well it's a hard one to answer. I would think the answer is application dependent. If your SA plane can 3-d with the best of them on pitts style mufflers I'd say no. But if you just can't quite pull off that insane maneuver, you've got nothing to lose by going with the cans.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:44 PM
3D Joy

Here is what I think.

The power increase should at least balance out the weight increase, AT LEAST. The important thing you have is a huge decrease in noise which is a really good thing. You get less noise WITHOUT ANY SACRIFICE IN PERFORMANCE.

Only my opinion though.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Smokey

Is there a formula to figure out how much extra rpm is necessary to compensate for the extra pound of weight created by pipes or cans? Trying to see if its worth it.

Smokey
Old 12-01-2003, 11:32 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Smokey- As I'm sure you are aware, there are generally two reasons to fit cannisters- 1) noise reduction and/or 2) additional power. If you are looking at the 80-100 cc or 150/160cc engines, quite honestly, the power is generally much more than you need without attempting to get any additional boost from cannisters. It would help if you told us what engine and what airplane you would be using.

For me, the real reason I use them is for noise. I am flying a 40pct Extra (Composite-ARF) and am using the JMB mufflers. They don't provide any additional power gain- they're just mufflers but look like cannisters. Since they are just mufflers there is no need to fool around with the length of the header and such. The plane will 3D very easily and the sound is really nice- doesn't bark at me.

Another thing to think about is what will cannisters do to your throttle transition. Some flyer's with cannisters/pipes struggle with poor transition (feels like the engine has two positions- low and high) On cannisters/pipes that provide boost this is a consideration- and one reason that some 3D pilots don't use them.

Dave Michael
Old 12-02-2003, 11:29 PM
Smokey

The engine is ZDZ80 single going in a 35% Radiowave Panzl that i have on order. The plane was designed around 100cc engines. The prototype was flying with a DA100. The 80 weighs about 1 1/2 pounds less that the DA. I currently have a Bisson pitts muffler and a 3W 26x10 standard prop. I'm hoping the less weight is good enough to compensate for less displacement and power. If not, hoping to get more power out of the cans or pipe. I dont have the dinero to buy a 100cc. Just making do with what I got.

Thanks
Smokey
Old 12-03-2003, 08:11 AM
cmitch232-DELETE
My Feedback: (1)

I had a Bisson Pitts muffler on my ZDZ 80 and found it to be quiet, but it restricted the engine a lot, and caused overheating. Changed to a cannister muffler from Desert Aircraft. RPM immediately increased from 5900 to 6400 just by changing the muffler with a Bambula 26x10 prop. Now I'm running a Mejzlik 26x10 prop and turning 6700 and change. Thinking about going to a 27x8 mejzlik. So to answer your question, you are saving weight with the Bisson, but getting less power with higher temperatures. My ZDZ out turns several 100's belonging to friends of mine when compared using the same props. This engine loves a cannister muffler, and it will be quiet. Hope this helps.