Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Duelist Anyboody else got one

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Duelist Anyboody else got one

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 11:13 PM
nchrome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duelist Anyboody else got one

Hello everybody I was just wondering just how many people out there still own one of these bueatiful twins. I've had mine about four years now but two of them was spent down in the basement. But not for long though. I'm presently recovering and restuffing it and going to put a couple of Mag XL on it. I flew this bird a couple years ago down at Pekin Il and lost an engine. Did all the rite things as far as shutting down the engine and head for the field. Was too far out and thought I could add just a little throttle. But guess what that was the wrong thing to do. Didn't suffer that much damage just didn't get back to her until this winter. Can't wait for spring to put her back up in the air again. She definately handles real nise and realy do miss her. Possibly later I mite be able to show a couple of pictures(if I can barrow a camera).
Old 12-02-2003, 03:43 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Duelist Anyboody else got one

Mike:

Many of us still fly the Duellist, and some of us have a larger version too.

I have sold two 2/40 Mk I versions, still have a 2/40 in the box to build.

And a Super Duellist 2/60 Mk II.
Working on a Duellist 2/15 Mk II.
And finally got the engines, so I'll be working on a Duellist 2/05.

I had hoped to have the 2/15 version on the market by now, but I've not been able to do much of anything for about eight months. Put a crimp in the building. And just about everything else.

We made a total of 50 kits for the Super Duellist, should be quite a few flying next summer.

And Pica is still selling a lot of the Mk I kits. The 2/40 Mk II is plans only, but the Mk I kit is easy to bring up to the later specifications.

If you would like to convert yours to Mk II specs post your reply, we can go through the differences.

Bill.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:42 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold my Duellist, but have a Super Duellist in the box. Gotta get on building it eventually. It will have twin 60s or larger. Should be an awsome bird.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:20 PM
nchrome

William Robison My duelist is an old kit so yes I would like to update it. I don't know for sure how old my kit is I do know that they used bell cranks for the alierons, and for the throttles which I plan on coverting to micro servoes,for the throttles and standard for the alierons. It also has spoiler (airbrakes)/flaps which I don't like. Which I will chop off the spoiler and just have flaps. I've finished the fuse and plan on useing chrome nonokote for the whindshield and side windows. There's definately plenty of rudder for thoses engine out situations. Which now I'm more experienced with since I been flying a bashed Tower Voyager converted to a twin. And it flys like its on rails and you don't even know wen you loose an engine until you try to turn. Just ease off the throttle and make the turn and add throttle gently and it will fly just fine.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:06 PM
William Robison

Mike:

Depending on how much construction has been done, you can either make yours look like a Duellist Mk II, or simply share the improved aerodynamics.

About a year ago several of us had a long running thread about incidences and thrust lines on twins, the Duellist was one of the planes discussed.

The Mk I version has two degrees positive incidence on the wing and horizontal stab, with an effective five degrees down thrust on the engines. Fine for a trainer, but it all works against you in inverted flight. In the redesign for the Mk II, Dave Platt zeroed everything, the wing and stab were changed to zero incidence, and the engines were set to dead away.

If you are still building, and have not mounted the stab, you can cut the stab seat to zero degrees and sand the wing saddle to get zero there. And the firewalls are easily changed to zero-zero.

If you are beyond this point, just bring the engines up to be zero in realtion to the wing, and you have 90% of the modification in effect. The fuselage will be a little off, but nobody else will be able to tell, and you wont notice it in flight.

The net result is a more neutral plane in aerobatics, but not quite as good a twin trainer.

When the two versins are sitting side by side, the minor dimensional differences can be seen, but I don't think they are worth the trouble to include in the modification.

There is one obvious difference in the two, and I think it's well worthwhile to incorporate. It can be done even if the plane is completed, but it's easier done in the construction. The rudder and vertical fin are lowered, decreasing the roll coupling of the rudder. I've attached scans of the drawing, you can see the changes, add them to yours if you wish. Paste the scans together to get the complete drawing. If you don't do any knife edge you might not want to bother, but to say you have the Mk II you'll need to do it.

More questions or anything I've left unclear, polease ask.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11655.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	79202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95646.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	79203  
Old 12-02-2003, 09:19 PM
William Robison

Mike:

Sorry, I left the bellcranks out completely.

I've not seen a supplied plans set incorporating flaps on the Duellist. Platt's original design, all the Pica kits I've had, and the Mk II all have plain strip ailerons. On the 2/60 we did make allowances for flaps, but with them operated as "Flaperons" normal flight is not affected.

And unless space/weight is at a premium I will use separate servos for each aileron, each flap, and each throttle. Full boat that gives me six servos in the wings alone, for a twin.

With the ailerons operated by torque rods, it's practical to use a single aileron servo, I don't like the slop that comes with bellcranks. It is OK to use a single throttle servo, but it's more trouble to set up than duals. Or I think it is,

The twin in my avatar has a single throttle servo, and a single aileron servo. But it's only 34" wingspan, and the nacelles arew full of fuel tanks and landing gear.

Hope I got it all this time.

Bill.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:42 PM
nchrome

Bill could you posst a picture of your Duelist for me. Looking close at your tailfeathers on your posting just don't look the same as the tailfeathers of my plane maybe I don't have a duelist. It could be because of the age of my ship(I hope) As soon as I can get ahold of a friends camera I will try to post a picture of my plane and show the repairs that I'm doing.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:59 PM
William Robison

Mike:

No picture of a currfent one, but attached is a picture of one that's gone, (the black one) and one belonging to a fellow named Jim Greenwood. His has the green trim, naturally.

I've also attached two smaller scans, the first is the Mk I, second is the Mk II.

If you think you have a Duellist it's almost definite that's what you have. But there have been many other twins similar in appearance.

Bill.

Name:	Qo38720.jpg
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	79246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17552.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	79247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67855.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	79248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51581.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	79249  
Old 12-03-2003, 04:45 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: <span class=

Is there still plans to release a .15 sized duelist? Bill, was it you that i spoke to many months ago about this? I have a pair of hot rossi .15's looking for a fun sport home. [8D]
Old 12-03-2003, 05:00 PM
William Robison

Sean:

Yes, I'm the one, and when I get the strength back in my right arm I'll finish the fuselage, and hopefully get it on the market.

Thanks for the continued interest.

Bill.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:16 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Bill. My memory isn't that great....CA fumes perhaps!? Could you write my name down and contact me when you think you'll have a rough draft ready? Thanks!!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:39 PM
nchrome

Sorry guys I just found out that the plane that I have is called an Apple. [&:]The plans where in RCM quite a while back. But I still am going to repair it and fly it. But also I'm very interested in getting a Duelist forty here soon or maybe a set of plans and maybe scrach build one for my hangar So I'll be looking for one soon HO HO HO HO HO HO
Old 12-05-2003, 06:16 PM
crash1-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: 2 motors

this is a very interesting subject, i have a duelist 40 that i put os 46`s in, it flys really good unlimited vertical, & goes like a rocket @ full tilt about 100 mph, but i found that when i have a flame out it comes in unheart if i kill the remaining motor, [:@]

i had a dream i was a muffler,& had a flame out,,,
Old 12-06-2003, 10:38 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: William Robison

but attached is a picture of one that's gone, (the black one)
Bill,

I see you like 'em black too! Here's a pic of mine. And it's gone too. (Sigh.)

...jim

Name:	Wt59302.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	80158  
Old 12-06-2003, 02:41 PM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

HI. Wes from chillicothe. Did you ever rebuild the B-25? Still haven't finished mine yet. A B-24 liberator has moved in its place. I have been thinking of sell my B-25 but not real sure.
Wes
[email protected]
Old 12-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Wingman357
My Feedback: (54)

Bill,
Can you tell me how to print your tail mods full size, or at least full page? I have had this same problem before with other files here at RCU. I can print them fine, but only at about 1/4 size of the page (normal sheet of printer paper 8 1/2" x 11").
Thanks
Old 12-06-2003, 07:02 PM
William Robison

JimBrown:

Good to hear from you again, but that "Sigh" seems to mean your black one is noi longer operational. The black one I pictured was still in flying condition the last I heard.

Ross:

Take the pictures into any of the photo software programs that lets you resize, then print it as big or small as you wish. For best results get the larger picture to copy - "Click for Full Size" before you copy it.

Bill.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:57 PM
Wingman357
My Feedback: (54)

Bill,

Thanks for the "how to" on the photos. Worked fine. Now, if I can just figure out how to open a ".dat" file.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:11 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: William Robison

JimBrown:

Good to hear from you again, but that "Sigh" seems to mean your black one is noi longer operational. The black one I pictured was still in flying condition the last I heard.
Ah, your's is gone, as in someone else has it. Yes, mine is gone, as in it no longer exists. The elevator departing the plane, due to flutter, at show center, during a high speed low pass tends to have that result. Now, if I could just tear myself away from MS Flight Sim 2004 for a while, I might just be able to finish up a few loose ends and then get to work on the SD!

...jim
Old 12-18-2003, 09:35 PM
William Robison

Jim:

When I get going again I'll have the Duellist 2/15, the Duellist 2/40 Mk II, the Super Duellist 2/60 Mk II, and I'll be working on the Micro Duellist 2/05.

Can anyone be more of a Duellist Nut?

We have a couple of the SDs under construction now, keep us posted on yours.

Bill.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Stallion_51
My Feedback: (1)

We have a Duelist also with two OS .50 SX's. It screeeeeeeams!

Old 12-29-2003, 04:23 PM
mucksmear

Stallion_51,

That's a sharp looking Duellist! A nice military treatment.
-E
Old 01-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

William,

I've been following this thread with interest. The Duelist is a Beautiful airplane. Do you manufacture the kits? If so are they available and what is the price? How does it comapre to ease of construction and flying to the Twin Air .45?

Thanks
Bob
Old 01-07-2004, 07:13 PM
William Robison

Bob:

The Duellist 2/40 (Mk I) is kitted by Pica, best source I've found is Quantum, $130 including shipping. The Duellist 2/40 Mk II is available as plans only.

A group of us did kit the Duellist 2/60 Mk II, we only made 50 kits and have no plans to produce more. Northeast Aerodynamics has the design now, it should be in production soon, but probably under the name "Duel-Air 2/60."

The 2/15 is currently being developed, I expect to have the final version flying by spring.

Bill.

PS: Sorry it took so long to get back. wr.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Thanks Bill,

I actually met John on Tuesday night. I had E:mailed him on Monday asking if he had any Twin Air 45 kits left. He told me I was in luck that he had one left form the Jan 1st run. He then offered to meet me in my town to deliver it as he would be driving through on his way home Tuesday evening. I live about 30 miles from him. Not only did he deliver this to me, he said he would be there at 6:45Pm and he was right on time. Heck of a guy!
Looks like I found a home for my two Saito .56's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.