Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

e 540

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 08:45 PM
JimRoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e 540

I built a H9 Edge 540 and tried to fly it several times with very limited success. It's been one problem after another. One of the big ones is that it will snap out of a climb with only very little elevator input. On low rates, the elevator only moves about 3/4" and it snaps out of ANY up elevator move.
It is balanced pretty well and seems to hold level flight (sometimes) but when I try to pull up it wants to snap to the right violently. Afraid to do any kind of looping maneuvers.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JimRoss
Old 12-08-2003, 09:01 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: e 540

Sounds like she's tail heavy. If you roll inverted and give full down elevator, does she snap that way also? Does it climb while inverted (with no other inputs)?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:07 PM
JimRoss

If and when I can get the engine to run good enough I will try that.
This plane has been a succession of problems. Flown it four times with no more than 1 lap around the field before having to land. Kinda hard to figure anything out.
1st time, all the head bolts came loose.
2nd time, muffler came loose and pressure line kept burning off muffler.
3rd time, engine died, dead sticked it to a stall, broke landing gear out.
4th time, today, Rear engine plate bolts came loose, prop nuts came off, engine went to a zillion rpm, dead sticked it again. no breakage this time.
And this is a brand new airplane. Go figure. Already has lots of hangar rash and recovering marks.

JimRoss
Old 12-08-2003, 09:18 PM
bdtsr

What kind of engine is this (so maybe I don't buy one!)? Hope your luck changes here soon.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:20 PM
JimRoss

Believe it or not, it's a NIB OS 1.60 with Pitts style muffler.
I'm gonna loctite that sucker from one end to the other.

JimRoss
Old 12-08-2003, 09:26 PM
bdtsr

That's a new one on me for the OS. My buddy has a H9 Edge 540 with a Moki 1.35. Still waiting to break the engine in. Seems he likes to just build and run! The engine gets hot and quits, that's how I ended up with his SIG Cap 231EX! Have you done any break in on the ground with it?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:33 PM
JimRoss

That's the thing, I've run the stuffing out of it on the ground. Runs great down here but when I put it up there, Pfffffffttt! Stuff just comes apart. After tomorrow you won't be able to take it apart without a propane torch. I'm gonna loctite the crap out of the sucker. It's broke in good enough but it just don't like to stay together.

JimRoss
Old 12-08-2003, 09:45 PM
bdtsr

Sounds like I'll stick with Moki and ST for now! If you get to fly, post how you make out. You've got me curious now!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:49 PM
JimRoss

Oh, I''m gonna make it fly alright. I have never been beaten yet. I've been set back at times but never beaten. Eventually it will give in and do right, I just have to go through all the motions and do all the little things necessary.

All my other planes have been real easy and I guess I just got spoiled.

Does anyone else have one of those kits/arf's/ whatevers that just refuse to do right? Tell us about it.

JimRoss
Old 12-08-2003, 11:39 PM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Jim:
My nephew & I are both flying the hanger 9 edge with fox 3.2 gassers, are you using the stock control setup as far as the elevators?? If so you may have a flex problem with the elevator control rod letting one side lag under the pressure, we are running dual servo's in the tail without any problems & this plane can be summed up in one word "awesome"

Gil
Old 12-09-2003, 08:56 AM
JimRoss

I'm using dual 70 oz/in servos with pull pull setup for the elevator halves and I have them set as close to each other as I can measure. I've done this setup several times before with no troubles. This one just has me stumped so far.
I may wind up setting up one 100 oz/in servo with dual cables. That might work better. We'll see.

JimRoss
Old 12-09-2003, 09:15 AM
stuffer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the DP 540 w/ the Moki 2.10 and no problems with snap at all. Engine runs STRONG! more than enough. I even had it taill heavy at first and still no bad habits. I know where you are coming from, my Giles 202 had the same snap feature. mad for a difficult flight . I couldn't get out of a mess fast enough for me. Not enough elevator. You can try to mix in some opposite aileron to the elevator. That might work.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:51 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Jim,

A friend had one (flew the stuffing out of it then sold it...) and I was looking at it one day ans saw that he only had what looked like 1/4" of throw in the elevaors. Go by the book on the throws. It had very little throw and if you hauled back on it, it would snap. Tame down your throws and I'll be you'll be okay. Oh, and I've also read that the OS 160 with the Bisson Pitts muffler needs one hole plugged up for it to have sufficient pressure with out using a pump or regulator.

Good Luck.

Jon
Old 12-09-2003, 11:26 AM
deputydog

Also, check your leading edges of the wings. I received the new wings from H-9 and if you butted them up together, one leading edge was higher than the other. Also like Xtreme states, go with the throws in the book and no more! Double check your throws, one may be up higher than the other! Good luck
Old 12-09-2003, 04:31 PM
bdtsr

You know, I got thinking about this and remembered that a GP Cap 231EX ARF (.46 size) I had did the same thing. After checking the wing, I noticed that the right wing half had +2deg of incidence. After twisting and reshrinking over a week, I got it to 0deg like the other side. It flew MUCH better after that. Still snapped if you weren't carefull though (just the nature of this beast).
Old 12-09-2003, 07:54 PM
JimRoss

It sounds to me like they have built a real lemon. If all you guys say is true, why doesn't the 33% or the 40% Edge have this problem? Not being critical of your advice, just wondering.
A friend has a 40% Edge with a 3W100 in it and it flies like a dream.
I don't have an incidence meter but I guess I'll be going to the LHS to get one. After this last session, I have torn out all the elevator rigging and am re-doing it. Gonna make sure that both halves move the same amount.
At any rate, thanks for the input. I'll check it all out.

JimRoss
Old 12-10-2003, 05:10 AM
jbflier

I had one with a Saito 180 in it, and flew the stuufing out of it. A friend has one with a BME 50; Whoa momma!!! 3/4" elevator is way too much throw, if your cg is aft and you're not prepared for it. It will snap like crazy. You may try a little less elevator.........
Old 12-10-2003, 09:18 AM
JimRoss

Ok, I surrender. I've never seen a plane that only need micro size inputs to the elevator. I set it up like all the other planes I've flown and it just goes crazy. I can see that it's going to take some getting used to. What kind of deflection does it require on Lo rates? Hi rates? Aw Hell, I guess I'll just go read the dang instruction book. I hate it when that happens.

Thanks to all you guys.

JimRoss
Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 PM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

I have mine set up with 1/2 up & 1/2" down on low rates & it seems to do well

Gil
Old 12-10-2003, 09:26 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Jim;

I had the EXACT same combo(H9Edge/OS160) and HATED it. Could not get a consistant run on the engine-even with a pump, wound up crashing it and didn't even care-RIP!

btw/ hows the hand re-hab going?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:28 PM
JimRoss

I just redid all the elevator linkage today. Changed out dual servos for one single 100 oz/in servo with pull pull cables. Elevator is now dead centered and equal deflection both up and down. Got it set on about 5/8" each way on low rates. Hi rates is about 3/4". Still got to repair the covering where I cut it off to get access but that is minor.
Got all the screws loctited in and everything is tight once again. Tomorrow will tell if it is gonna run right.

I ain't gonna let this sucker beat me.

BTW. The hand is fine, thumb is all healed, a little short but fine. Doesn't affect my flying a bit.

Thanks to all of you for the help.

JimRoss
Old 12-11-2003, 09:28 PM
wheels

Default RE: e <span class=

Any news Jim?

You've got me on the "edge" of my seat, I have one of these in the hangar withg a saito 1.8 and all digital hitecs waiting for a test flight in spring.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:36 AM
JimRoss

Well, let's see, I've worked on the engine, got everything tight and loctited, and remounted on airplane. Ripped out all the elevator servos and rigging, replaced two 77 oz/in servos and cables with one 100 oz/in servo with dual pull pul cables to the elevator halves. Moved receiver and battery forward. Rebuilt top of fuselage in front of canopy, Modified the four hold down tabs on canopy to pins in front and screws in back.
All that's left is to fix the covering, check balance, go fly it and see what problems are this time and fix them. Sounds optimistic, huh?

Should be able to fly it again this weekend. If it does well, I'll let everyone know. Oh, BTW, I reduced the elevator throws to about 1/2" on lo rates and 3/4" on hi rates. We'll see!

JimRoss
Old 12-15-2003, 10:38 PM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

i had the same combo, had same problems. closed off one side of muffler fix that,eng runs great now but got rid of plane...hope you get it stright...
Old 12-22-2003, 05:44 PM
wheels

The silence is ominous Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.