Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCS 1.4 or MVVS 1.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:23 PM
KEITH RUSH
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCS 1.4 or MVVS 1.6

I am getting ready to build a Lanier 1/4 Laser 200 and a Goldburg Ultimate .60. I don't want to use a glow engine because of the cost of glow fuel, so I am thinking of using one of the gas engines. I have read about people using gas on these planes with very good success. I am wandering which one would be the best too use. I have heard alot about the RCS 1.4 with good results, but I haven't heard much about the MVVS 1.6. Which of these do you think would be the best way to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Keith
Old 12-14-2003, 06:34 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: RCS 1.4 or MVVS 1.6

If I were doing it with those two engines, I would put the MVVS in the Lanier and the RCS in the Goldberg.

The RCS is good when you can keep the weight down to 11 -12 lbs.
Check the RCS web site Gallery section, there is a goldberg with one on it.
The stearman on that page is (was) mine.
http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/gallery/galleryrcs.html
Old 12-15-2003, 12:04 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know how you like to fly aerobats but I've used the MVVS 1.6 in a 1/4 H9 cap. It wasn't enough power to suit me and I didn't want it to hover. My 1.6 is the older verson and I used a Bisson Pitts muffler. The later version with a tuned pipe might work out OK on the Laser but for the money I'd use a ZDZ 40.

CR
Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charley

I don't know how you like to fly aerobats but I've used the MVVS 1.6 in a 1/4 H9 cap. It wasn't enough power to suit me and I didn't want it to hover. My 1.6 is the older verson and I used a Bisson Pitts muffler. The later version with a tuned pipe might work out OK on the Laser but for the money I'd use a ZDZ 40.

CR
If you used the old type, you are right about the power. The carb on these engines was so small, they would make the engine suitable for a transatlantic flight. In my tests, the engine sipped gas at a rate of 1/2 oz/minute. In this config, and the in-cowl muffler, the engine performs very well in a piper Cub (6400 rpm on Menz 18x8)

The new engines have the larger carb, and produce substantially more power. The RCS is no match for them.
some rpm on the MVVS tuned pipe.
APC 18x8N 8400
Menz 18x8 7600
Menz 18x10 7400
The APC performance is disappointing in comparison, but the Menz both perform very well, and hover a 11 lbs plane.
Anyone has rpm for the RCS?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:53 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

I have the newer MVVS 1.6 in a Lanier Edge 540 & am well pleased with the little engine. I had to add an extra lb of weight in the nose to balance bringing the weight to 13 lbs and at that the plane had unlimited vertical but only at full throttle. The set up was perfect for scale acro or IMAC but 3D it was lacking alittle. If the extra lb was gone I'm sure the outcome would have been alot better. The engine is a little finicky when priming for the first start. Not enough or 2 much & its a little hard to start but when you figure out how much to prime it, its 1 flip. I will definatly keep this little engine around for the smaller 1/4 scale stuff!!
Old 01-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Hi RSrogers!
What mufler, prop and RPM can you get with your MVVS1.6? How many prop turn of prim do you use from cold start? i am still learning how to start mine by hand without too much results. Easier to start with the electric starter...

My 24% Extra 300L is 11lbs with MVVs1.6 and Bisson Pitt muffler, MA 18x8 at 7000RPM, APC 17x10 at 7300RPM. Have not flew the plane yet.
Scoubi
Old 01-11-2004, 11:50 AM
rsrogers

Hello Scoubi, I to use the Bisson pitts muffler. I havent tacked it in a long time but it seem with the 17/8 APC I was getting around 7800 and with an 18/8 APC I got around 7400. The 18" would give me unlimited vertical at full throttle but that was it. I took a better liking to the 17". It would go up for a pretty good ways and when it finally petered out it would make for some great tail slides, I guess due to keeping up the higher RPM's. If my plane weighed what yours does the 17/8 would be the perfect choice. In the up line the engine dosent slow down it just wont pull the extra weight I've got in there for balance. Try the 17/8 APC, at your weight I think you will like it.
As for starting, my engine is mounted sideways. I use my thumb to hold the choke closed & I prime till I see gas bubble out the choke for at least 3 turns of the prop. Anymore than that & its flooded, any less & it just wont do. I'm sure each is a little different so do as I did & pay attention to how much gas you see when you prime & eventually you will get the right combo.
Keep me filled in on what you think of the engine when you get it flying.
BTW whos Extra do you have it in??
Old 01-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Scoubidou

My Extra is the CA kit, 24% Extra300L. CA sell a lot of nice planes with agressive prices!(http://www.camodel.com.ar/Ingles/homeingles.htm)

Here is the complete story for that kit
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...2C24%25/tm.htm

I think i give too much prime with 8 turns of prop with my thumb on the choke. I'll try with 3 or 5 turn only.
Daniel
Old 01-11-2004, 06:01 PM
rsrogers

Scou. At inital start up it might take more that 8 turns. I might have to turn mine 10 or 12 to get the gas to the carb but when I see it bubble at the choke thats when I make sure I give it the "three" turns. Hope this isnt confusing!!

I checked out the CA site. Do they list any prices anywhere???

Steve
Old 01-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Scoubidou

I bought mine at planesplus, 189$ for the kit, not an ARF.
http://www.planesplus.com/

I think CA has a new distributor in Miami, i dont remember the name? You can send an email to Marcelo Colombo who designed all CA kits.

Scou
Old 01-11-2004, 07:28 PM
rsrogers

Thanks Scou.

Steve