Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hummingbird tail motor sodder question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hummingbird tail motor sodder question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:07 PM
scimitar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingbird tail motor sodder question

Is there a certain way to solder the tail motor wires to the tail motor-- there has to be a better way then im currently doing it- currently im soldering the wire to the 2 tiny copper tabs that stick out of the motor.. am i missing something??
Old 12-17-2003, 02:46 AM
Banished Outside

Default RE: Hummingbird tail motor sodder question

Nope thats it, whats the problem?

Clean off any old solder with desolder braid, heat the tab and wire together on the iron and apply some flux paste solder. You should have a clean silver joint. Don't apply too much heat or move the joint around whilst cooling or it will look like bird sh*t.

Steve
Old 12-17-2003, 09:29 AM
scimitar

those tabs are just so tiney- i keep burning the motor around the tab... hmmmm the iron came with flux paste- and i was never sure what that was for... can you elaborate on how to use it?
Old 12-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Banished Outside

Yeah Mate,

The flux cleans the area being soldered and helps the solder flow (like a lubricant in a way), if you don't use flux you will need too much heat and your joints will be grey and messy.

Re. melting plastic - first tin the wires (dip the end of the wire in flux and then apply heat and apply a small amount of solder, the knack is to get the right amount of heat, once the solder flows freely remove the heat)

Second try to tin the tabs if possible.

Lastly position the wire next to the tab and apply heat to both surfaces until the two solidify (2 seconds or less) and hold in place until cool (burnt fingers are usual!!).

Steve
Old 12-17-2003, 03:21 PM
scimitar

learn somethin new every day will try that tonight. thanks alot for your help man.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Tubes

A little clarification -

ORIGINAL: Banished Outside

The flux cleans the area being soldered and helps the solder flow (like a lubricant in a way), if you don't use flux you will need too much heat and your joints will be grey and messy.
Flux does not clean the area being soldered or the wire. Flux keeps the wire or surface from oxidizing (getting dirty) when you apply heat and helps the solder to flow.

Second. Forget the flux paste. Go to Radio Shack and get some run of the mill "Rosin Core Solder". Rosin Core means that the solder has a core made of flux. This is the only solder and flux you should ever need.

What size soldering iron are you using? For this job you only need a 25 watt iron. Up to 45 watts is ok, just be cautious not to burn the motor, or yourself! Make sure you have a small tip on the iron as well. You are soldering some small parts! You can get an iron that should work just right for you at The Shack as well.

Didn't mean to be rude or anything, just trying to help

Reuben
Old 12-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Banished Outside

No worries Tubes,

I also use solder incorporating flux and a temp controlled solder station, thanks for the clarification it's a long time since I studied electronics, it's now something I just do without thinking about the theories.

Steve